Life Lessons As A Tribute To My Grandmother

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

A few months ago, I wrote an article entitled “A Tribute to American Hero Ruth Bader Ginsburg” and in that same vein, we have lost another person who I undoubtedly consider my own American hero–my grandmother, Minya Yudenfriend. I spent almost every day with her over winter break, we did everything together from online shopping to dozing off during boring Zoom calls, she helped raise me, and was my inspiration everyday. One of the major things that has helped me and others through grief is through telling her story, so today, I’d like to do that through writing down some of the lessons she taught me that I believe are so essential and helpful for anyone to know.

1. Celebrate the people in your life everyday and all the time, not just on special occasions. 

2. If you’re not laughing, you’re crying. Even if something is sad, there is some sort of beauty and joy to be found among the sadness.

3. There is a song appropriate for every moment. 

4. Write down all of the moments in your life, even the seemingly insignificant everyday ones, because you could view them as beautiful and essential later on. 

5. Take pride in your family, heritage, quirks, eccentricities and everything that makes you who you are.

6. Be able to poke fun at yourself and the ones you love.

7. Any day can be the best day of your life: When she wanted a holiday to express the love she had for her family and friends that wasn’t a birthday, my grandmom decided that any day could be deemed “Happy I Love You Day.”

8. Don’t hide how you’re feeling, shout it from the rooftops.

9. Go after your dreams, even if they seem impossible and don’t wait for it to be perfect or exactly right to go for it.

10. Sing everyday, at the top of your lungs with all of your heart and soul.

11. Anyone is welcome at your table.

12. When someone needs a friend, become that person and show up for people when they need you.

13. Be the first person someone can call in the most important, most exciting, and most difficult moments in someone’s life. 

14. Always be open and ready for any experience life has to offer.

I could spend the rest of my life listing lessons but I think those sum it up pretty well. It is so important to savor time with the people you love and to never waste a moment because life is so short. 

Lisa Green

Lafayette '24

Hi, I'm Lisa and I'm a freshman at Lafayette. I'm interested in theater, politics, cooking and more!
Layla Ennis

Lafayette '23

Junior at Lafayette College