I was Vegan for 3 Days and This is What Happened…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

Veganism means you don’t use animal products. This includes food, clothes, or other products that are animal-sourced in any way.

Well, it was an interesting experience to say the least. The effort and planning it takes to eat under such a strict dietary restriction is something I have a deeper appreciation for. Luckily, I don’t have that problem anymore! But for those who do still eat with restrictions, it’s hard and I empathize with that.

So why vegan? Before diving into this process, let me explain myself:

Vegans get a lot of criticism. They are either too outspoken about their food values or they don’t have “balance” within their diets. And other times they are too perfect and no one knows how they do it. However, there is a lot of validity to both sides that get lost in the fluff around the vegan lifestyle.

For me, it was about the benefits it has on the environment. There are three big ways eating green can help you go green: reducing CO2 emissions, saving water, and increasing efficiency of food production. It’s also been a popular diet for its claim to help people with weight loss or reducing the risk of illness. But there are many opinions out there so I had to see what it was all about for myself.

Now, let’s get into the nitty gritty: food.

Not a lot of variety in my meal options; a con to veganism for sure. It’s hard to get foods that meet both nutritional needs and satisfy, mainly because most of us aren’t in a position to cook all of our meals. Anyway, here is a general outline of my meals over the 3 days:

Breakfasts

Oatmeal, potatoes, or a bagel w/ peanut butter or jelly (or both!)

with Fruit

Lunches

Plate of spinach and mixed greens with beans and starch on top (sweet potatoes, rice, carrots, or broccoli are the consistent options)

Glass of soy milk

Dinners

Plate of spinach and mixed greens with beans and a little extra starch on top (sweet potatoes, rice, carrots, or broccoli are the consistent options)

Glass of soy milk

Snacks

Hand fruits or veggies (apples, bananas, oranges, carrots, etc.)

*Pretzels (read label first!)

Potato chips

*Cereal w/ soy milk

Other notable foods

Hardwok and pasta in Lower

Avocado toast at Mojo

Breakfast smoothie (w/o honey) at Mojo

*Read label first! They are usually vegan options, but not always.

These meals weren’t only a struggle because I love chocolate, butter, and coffee creamer, but the biggest struggle was logistically trying to find food. Not that I didn’t miss non-vegan foods–because, oh boy, I did–but I was too preoccupied finding vegan foods to even care. Breakfast was the trickiest meal to find options for. There was always carb options, but protein in the morning is important too. A variety and quantity of protein was hard to find of the vegan dining hall options during most of my meals.

I eat most of my meals in campus dining halls, as most students do, and I was very hungry the majority of the time. Luckily, most breads are vegan so carbs and veggies usually aren’t the issue. But the protein options were a bit of a struggle. I found myself trying to juggle variety with 3 things: beans, soy milk, and tofu–which, if you think about it, are just beans in a variety of forms. So, the foods available definitely made variety a struggle to find.

Aside from dissatisfaction with our dining services, I was also surprised at how much I learned about my body during the experience. The first day I was so tired; by the third day my body was almost fully adjusted. It was a trial and error to see how much and what foods would make me feel the best. But by the end of it, I actually had a lot of energy, all of which was plant based!

I also thought I was going to crave things a lot more than usual, but I was actually okay. Chocolate, yogurt, and eggs were basically a daily go-to for me, and I missed them for sure, but my body wasn’t dying for them like I expected it to. In fact it had the opposite effect for me. Instead of getting a hefty serving or going back for more, after my vegan experience, I could have a a single serving and be totally satisfied.

I’m all for the binge when necessary, but this kind of restriction made me appreciate and be considerate of the food I was eating.

Even though there are other admirable qualities of veganism, like the environmental and health aspect, the most valuable thing I got from this experience was getting to know my body a little better.

Veganism and other diets can be a daunting commitment. Even I had considered going vegan for a long time before seriously trying it for these three days. But the willingness to change things up and getting to know your body is the benefit! It’s not about the promise of weight loss or sustainability. It is truly about you.

Trying to elevate small talk to medium talk.
Krystyna Keller

Lafayette '21

Creating things since '98 Campus Correspondent for HC Lafayette