This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

If there’s one thing we can all agree on, it’s that breakups suck. Going from talking to someone you love every day to having to leave each other’s lives can be extremely painful. Here are some tips I have learned to help move on from a breakup.

1. Delete Old Pictures

I’m a very sentimental person and I like to keep pictures of old memories. However, it’s important to get rid of constant reminders of your ex and that includes all of the pictures of you together. If you don’t want to delete them forever but still want them off of your phone, I recommend uploading them to your computer or Google Photos so that they aren’t gone forever but you don’t have to see reminders of them every time you scroll through your camera roll.

1. Block Them On Social Media

This may sound harsh but it’s important to avoid seeing any reminders of your ex. Even if you plan to stay on good terms, it’s important to distance yourself from them as much as possible. You don’t have to block them out of anger, but as a way to protect yourself from getting hurt the next time they post a picture with all of their friends, or worse, with their new partner. When I blocked my ex, I felt a little bad at first. But if they can’t understand that you need to put yourself first and avoid reminders of them, then they may not be someone you want to keep in your life anyway.

1. Spend Time With Your Friends and Family

As easy as it is to sit in bed all day and cry about how you could have tried to save your relationship, it’s much healthier to keep in touch with the people who have always been there for you. Not only is it a good distraction from thinking about your ex but your friends can also remind you why you two are better off apart. Breakups can leave you really vulnerable and it is important to have a good support system.

1. Keep a Journal

One thing that helped me process how I was feeling during my breakup was keeping a journal. Whenever I was feeling hurt, upset, or angry, I would write out all of my thoughts. If you need ideas of what to write about, try making a list of reasons you’re better off without each other or write letters to them (don’t send them though – you both need space from each other). Journaling can be a good way to sort through your emotions and accept the breakup.

Although these are all great ways to cope with a difficult breakup, ultimately the best way to get over someone is to give it time. It may seem like you’ll never move on from them but eventually it gets easier. Try to take advantage of being single by doing the things that you love or trying out new hobbies. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself to move on quickly, though. There is no right amount of time to grieve the end of a relationship; what’s important is that you take care of yourself and surround yourself with people who support you.

Amelia Thomson

Lafayette '24

Freshman at Lafayette College :)