This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

“Treat yo self.” Easier said than done, right? A few years ago, this phrase was getting thrown left and right, inspiring a wave of self-care trends. I was constantly justifying everything I did for myself under the phrase ‘self-care,’ but I don’t think I even really knew what that meant. Sometimes I would worry that I took too many breaks or that I just used ‘me time’ as an excuse for laziness. Other times, I would feel like I never truly let myself relax at all. During quarantine, every part of our lives that is normally separated has been blurred together. I wake up to go to class in bed, then do my homework in bed, then call my friends from bed, then relax in bed, then sleep in bed… Basically, I stare at the same screens all day, every day, in the same place, and I’ve been doing this for months. Whatever a break used to be–binging youtube videos and eating snacks after a long day–feels undifferentiable from everything else I do. It doesn’t really feel like a break when I just switch from one tab to another. Even though everyone has been staying home for most of this year, I’ve noticed my friends seem as overworked and stressed as ever. There is no escape from anything when everything is in the same place.

So, how do you ‘treat yo self’ right now? How do you transition into ‘me time’ when work time isn’t limited from 9-5 anymore? With everything blurring together, I think there are some key things to keep in mind to help give your brain (and the rest of you!) a genuine break:

1. Set aside distinctive work and relaxation time.

The best way to keep everything from blurring together is to separate it, literally. Pick times to start and end the day. Otherwise, there’s constant pressure to work because it’s not designated for any particular time. Once you’re done, whether at 6 or 7 or 8 that day, you’re done. This might also help you plan ahead to make sure you get assignments done on time, which could also alleviate some stress. Each day, the time can be different, just choose schedules and goals you think are suited to your work type.

2. Pick places for work and places just for you.

Literally designate an area for school or tasks, whether that be your disk, kitchen table, back porch, whatever. Ideally, it’s some place quiet with good wifi, but that’s not always accessible to everyone at home, so pick a place where you think will be best for being where you ‘go to’ work. That way, when you’re done, you can literally leave, even if it’s just to go upstairs.

3. Find activities that don’t involve screens.

Easier said than done, believe me, I know. I am a hardcore screen addict, but finding even a couple of ways to break away each day has really helped me. Personally, I like long showers, making friendship bracelets, writing letters to my friends, baking new recipes, practicing my guitar, and singing, just to give you a few ideas. Try to think about what you have always like to do–maybe this is the time to get back into taking long walks, learning to sew your own clothes, or making all those recipes you save on Pinterest but never get around to.

You know you best, so keep in mind that these are suggestions of things that help me, but if you think the key is to drink more water and meditate once a day, then go for that. Just don’t forget to care for yourself right now, wherever and whenever you can. You deserve it.

Sophomore at Laf! Majoring in International Affairs and minoring in Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. Passionate about writing, getting to know people, and exploring new places. Also a big fan of music (playing and listening)!
Layla Ennis

Lafayette '23

Junior at Lafayette College