This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

If there’s anything true about a college semester during the pandemic, it’s that it is anything but normal. I’ve been back at school for a week now, and this is how I’m making a semester of endless Zoom meetings and hours spent in front of my laptop seem like any normal semester — in which I would spend time with my friends, walk to classes, and live a bit more normally!

Dressing Up

It’s so easy to wear sweats and the same sweatshirt to class every day, but I’m really trying to spice it up a bit with cute tops, fun pants, funky earrings, and cool hairstyles. Even if I’m only going to class on Zoom, I’m going to look really cute. No one can persuade me otherwise. And besides, if I’m dressed up, I’ll feel all the more productive!

Reserving Study Spaces 

I don’t have any classes in person this semester, so I’ve been booking study spots in the library and other academic buildings on campus so I can avoid having class in my room all the time. While I love my room, I definitely struggle with being there all day! Physically walking somewhere else for class makes college seem a bit more normal.

Homework with friends… just a little differently!

Because of COVID regulations, I can’t study with my friends like I normally would — but that doesn’t mean I can’t do homework with them over zoom! It’s really helpful to have a friend, even if it is virtual.

Continuing to exercise, when it is safe to do so

Exercise plays such a huge role in my overall mood, and I have a ton going on this semester — so I want to make sure that my body is taken care of as well. Exercise always helps reduce feelings of stress, so I plan on signing up for the gym and also going on my usual runs.

Keeping my dorm decor “over the top”.

Whoever said you could decorate “too much” clearly didn’t know what they’re talking about. My dorm is fully decked out in fairy lights, posters, comfy pillows, containers of tea, snacks, and coffee, and a nice fuzzy rug. If I’m going to have to spend a lot of time there, at least I can make it a cute space!

These are just some things I’ve been doing while at school to help safely maintain a sense of normalcy, and they’ve all done wonders for my overall mood. I hope this helps you as well, as you navigate this crazy semester! And remember — warmer days are coming!

Shiloh Harrill

Lafayette '23

enthusiast for all things literature, sunrise, and coffee-related
Layla Ennis

Lafayette '23

Junior at Lafayette College