sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Valentine’s Day: How to Celebrate the People You Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

Although Valentine’s Day has many cynics it causes many to sigh with butterflies in their stomachs and hearts in their eyes. But on the day dedicated to love, instead of getting wrapped up in being single or taken, why not just celebrate those you care about the most?

Love is in so many places a part from that one special someone, so this Valentine’s Day let all your loved ones know that they are special!

If you love to make things:

Missing the days of elementary classrooms filled with Valentine cards for everyone? Make some small cards for your floormates, your suitemates, or just your best friends telling them things you appreciate about them. If you are a wizard with an oven, bake up some cookies or brownies and become the most loved person on everyone’s list. A surprise care package to a faraway friend could really make their day. A call to let your mom and your dad know they are the best is an awesome way to appreciate the people who loved you first.

If you are not that into making things:

Make some anti-Valentines and show your love in the form of some bad puns. Tell the musical lover in your life that they’re “the 2460-One for you” and the Harry Potter fan that you “A-Dumble-dore” them. Both meme Valentines can be found on the Internet with accompanying faces of Russell Crowe in Les Misérables and the noble headmaster.

If it is due time to treat yourself:

Then, treat yourself. Restaurants outside might be booked up with reservations, so host a Treat Yourself party with all the snacks you want and just a small group of friends to watch a funny movie together. Buy that ice cream you always see at the market but never buy because it looks too expensive. Actually, buy all of the ice cream. All of it. And feast. Personally, I dream of filling a shopping cart with every baby carton of Ben & Jerry’s that strikes my fancy.

And if you do have a special someone:

Make time. Make plans. Think about what you really admire about that person and laugh at all the craziness you put them through, and share those things with them. All in all, just enjoy being together.

The late Shirley Temple once said, “There’s nothing like real love. Nothing.” So do the little things to give thanks for the ones you cannot live without, and just enjoy love this Valentine’s Day.

Then race to those candy sales on the fifteenth.

Melanie Loon is an aspiring writer and all-around creative studying Mulitimedia Communications at the University of La Verne. A born and raised "Valley Girl," she loves Jesus, family, food, and all things Anthropologie. She can be found on Instagram @melaniespoon.