Opinion: ULV Transportation and Parking Services Suck

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

The University of La Verne strives to keep its campus as one of the safest locations in the city of La Verne. Not only does the University of La Verne have patrol cars roaming campus at night, but it also provides emergency crisis poles posted around campus where students can alarm the local authorities during a crisis. Beside the larger positives, the University’s Transportation and Parking Services brings the most to the table when discussing the negatives.

Not only do staff members within this department lack the social skill-set to create a healthy and professional relationship with students, but they fail to communicate with students on what policies/rules are being enforced. If you’re a student who lives in Vista La Verne, you are well aware of the “20 Minute Only” parking directly outside the residence hall. Semesters have gone by where this parking regulation is not enforced past 7 pm, however, the newest of campus safety personnel are now actively enforcing this practice. 

This change in enforcement can come off as a surprise to some, considering that was no notice of policy change or any signs that previous policies are going to be implemented in a more serious manner. I think it is safe to say the majority of students who have parked in front of the Hanawalt House or Vista La Verne know of the few parking spots without “20 Minute Only” signs, and try to park there instead. Well, let it be known that the Campus Safety Department will still consider these spots to be “time sensitive parking” and will cite you for being parked there longer than posted (even if there isn’t a post). I add this last part as a recognition that the university does not have “20 Minute Only” signs in all spots outside of the Hanawalt House or Vista La Verne, but still consider them all equally. It’s unbelievable to think that a division dedicated to providing adequate safety to students can fail to communicate such minuscule practices to students. 

It would be acceptable for a student to inquire with Campus Safety on a citation they receive while parking in these spots; however, the individuals within the Transportation and Parking Services may not always come off in a friendly tone. ATTENTION: This is a forewarning, tread lightly as staff members here can speak in a condescending tone or fail to see another’s point of view.

So what can we do as students?  

1. Ask questions immediately.

If you receive a citation for your parking and feel as though you were given the citation without proper grounds, it is vital you inquire/attest to your understanding of why you got the citation. Note that your first ticket is a warning, but if you have been given a warning prior then you will have to pay the $48+ stated on the ticket.

2. Park somewhere else.

It’s just easier to avoid the situation entirely by parking in a spot that you know no adult in khaki pants, black-collared button-ups, and huge egos can cite you for. Skip the pain of getting a citation and dealing with irrelevant adults by parking in the parking structure, Lot E (outside of Vista La Verne), or elsewhere.

As a student who pays $41,000+ in tuition, we shouldn’t have to add small petty citations to the list of items we can’t afford. Let’s just agree that the Transportation and Parking Services on campus suck, but we all have to deal with them eventually. When you do, remember that you cannot be silenced with a piece of paper that says you parked one minute too long in a spot. We all have a lot on our plate as students, and campus safety is so not worth wasting a breath.

Peace, love, and prosperity.

Hello, my name is Javier Lucatero! I'm a School Psychology, PPS masters student at the University of La Verne. Working in the educational field while building my experience for my career, I take part in Her Campus La Verne as a graduate student staff writer. My articles are random, blunt, and debatably very interesting. If you think there's something worth writing about, or feel I should address, let me know (@Javi_Lucatero) and I'll see what I can do! Thanks for reading!