danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Opening the Door to an Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

Let’s be real ladies – our college degrees mean next to nothing out in the real world unless we have experience.  Sure, a 4.0 GPA and being president of this-and-that is wonderful, but may not be enough to land that highly competitive dream job.

An internship is the perfect way to put us above the rest.  With an internship we gain experience in the field, a possible mentor and reference for that resume, and reality check for our “dream job.” 

Unfortunately getting an internship is more difficult than we may think and for some majors in La Verne, getting an internship is required to graduate. The application is time consuming; the interview induces sweaty palms, and waiting to hear back produces gray hairs.  In order to remain sane through the process, follow these tips:

Do research about the internship.

Knowing things like internship requirements, duties, and time commitments are key.  Why waste time on an application if we aren’t even qualified?  My internship at Darling Magazine listed requirements like being a journalism major, having AP Style knowledge, and having transportation to the office (amongst others).  They also listed their expectations of my potential duties and time commitment – the internship is no joke, it’s a JOB.

Be truthful and transparent, but also put your best foot forward.

No one wants to work with someone who is secretive, paid or not.  While filling out the application (and possibly writing short essays), be colorful and honest about dreams, aspirations and working style. We must never, I repeat NEVER, say anything negative about ourselves – or better yet, turn those negatives into positives.  Spend too much time on projects?  It’s probably due to perfectionism which many people consider a good thing in regards to work.  Don’t have a filter?  Honesty must be the best policy. 

Stay calm during the interview.

Being natural during an interview can be difficult, but is important.  The person interviewing does not want to see fear, they want to see excitement.  Show that enthusiasm with a smile, firm handshake, attentive body language and solid sounding speech.  Instead of over preparing, do something calming before the interview like yoga, listening to music or releasing anxiety with a scream!

Send a handwritten thank-you note right after the interview.

Who doesn’t like mail?  By sending a hand-written thank-you, the interviewer has a better chance of remembering the interview.  It also shows good manners and diligence.  Make it short and sweet – more professional for internships at a law firm or doctor’s office, more creative (I mean sparkly) for internships at a fashion magazine or graphic design studio.

Remember: Decide.  Commit.  Succeed.  Go get ‘em!

Hayley Hulin is a junior journalism major at the University of La Verne, but is taking her studies abroad this fall semester to rainy England. While she isn't studying, Hayley will be writing for her university blog, HC and Darling Magazine about traveling, experiencing new things and eating great food! Once finished with her fall adventure, Hayley is excited to reunite with her Phi Sigma Sigma sisters, Renew Christian Club and family.