This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

Katie Distelrath, a ULV graduate alumna, answered some questions about ULV’s Marriage and Family Therapy graduate program, life after school and also gave some advice for people who are starting to look into grad programs.

Katie is selfless, compassionate and insanely successful. Now I may be a tad biased (she’s my amazing aunt), but she happens to give the best advice and I am so glad I get to share a part of her with all of the HerCampus readers!

So without further ado, meet Katie Distelrath!

When did you graduate from the MFT program?

I graduated February 2013.

(A few years after her own graduation, she was asked to return and give the commencement speech for the MFT program).

What was your favorite part about the graduate program?

I honestly loved the entire program. I am honored to have spent 2.5 years learning and developing the skills I need to be a better professional, friend, family member and person. I learned the importance of diversity; how to be a safe place for people to explore their deepest pains and in the process find their greatest strengths; I learned what it meant to be truly empathetic and how to truly listen to people without judgment.

Where do you work now?

I am honored to work for the City of Monrovia in their Community Services Department and with clients, on Saturdays, at San Dimas Counseling. 

How has your career path been shaped by La Verne? 

I wouldn’t be who I am today without the guidance, encouragement, challenges and perspective I received from my time at La Verne. La Verne gave me the gift of understanding myself, the world and others in a meaningful way while giving me the tools to use that knowledge to help others explore who they are while identifying the strengthens they have to face life’s ups and downs. 

Do you have any advice for people who are starting to look or apply (and stress) about graduate schools/programs?

Allow yourself to take time to work in the “real world” before you jump head first into Grad School. Grad School is truly a blessing; if you’re feeling burnt out from undergrad, give yourself permission to take a deep breath so when you start your program you’re ready for the gift that higher education is. You not only learn about your field, you also learn about yourself in the process.

Once you’ve decided you’re read to go to Grad School remember fit is SO important. Find a school that has values that align with yours. Finally, make sure to take a deep breath and have faith that you will land exactly where you should be (and if you find that it isn’t the right fit, don’t be afraid to admit that and seek a different path!

Thank you Aunt Katie for giving us a new perspective with school, ULV, and our futures, I truly appreciate it!

Taylor is a psychology major (and a One Direction enthusiast) attending the University of La Verne in Southern California. When she isn't studying, you can find her reading and binge-watching Peaky Blinders or The Resident.