Wellness

To All Sexual Assault Survivors: You Are NOT Alone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

Sexual assault is a difficult topic. It most definitely is for me, and I know it is for many of my readers. If you do not know what I am talking about, I recommend you look up some stats on how many women are actually affected by this and/or read up on sexual assault in general before proceeding.

Whether the assault be a single touch, a grab, or penetration, know that it does not matter what form it was in and that you are important and are going to be okay. No matter how small the violation, it is a violation. It is a big deal. No unwarranted contact is ever okay. If you have experienced any form of sexual assault, and I mean any form, know that you are not alone. It is horrific, it is traumatic, it is scarring, it is isolating– but you are not alone.

ULV students, we all know that ULV resources are not sufficient for a variety of reasons, let alone in acknowledging the crime even took place to begin with. Outside therapy is an option. However, I am also aware that the cost of therapy may not allow for this option. If therapy, or any other solution for that matter, is not an option for you, the following number is available 24 hours a day.

National Sexual Assault Hotline: 1 (800) 656-HOPE or 1 (800) 656-4673

When you call in to this number, you will be sent to a local RAINN (Rape, Abuse, & Incest National Network) affiliate organization. If you are calling from a cell phone, you are given the option to enter your ZIP code. The benefits from calling the National Sexual Assault Hotline include having safe, confidential support from a trained staff member who will allow you to talk through what happened, aid in locating a health facility near you that helps sexual assault survivors and offers services such as exams, getting information on the laws in your area, and getting basic information about any medical concerns you may have.

Remember, just because this happened to you does not mean that you are alone in what comes next. You are going to move on from this, you are going to be stronger than you ever thought possible, and regardless of your past, you will still become the person you are meant to be.

Photographer | Jounalist Photography Editor for the La Verne location of Her Campus, Photography Editor for La Verne Magazine, Ground Floor Gallery Curator CelesteDrake.com