Sororities, Fraternities, and Philanthropies Galore

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Salle chapter.

The best part about going to La Salle is the exposure to new people and experiences as well as having the opportunity to join different organizations to find your own niche. Whether someone loves to compete in athletics, serve a greater community, write for the newspaper, perform on a stage, travel abroad, or more, La Salle University has a place for everyone to grow and succeed. I am beyond proud and happy to say that I found my niche with Alpha Theta Alpha. Being in a sorority is powerful. You are surrounded by an empowering group of women with the same values as you who want you to succeed and be the best version of yourself. The sisters who have surrounded me for the past two years have brought out the best in me and have truly made me a better person. Within the sisterhood of Alpha Theta Alpha, I have made memories that I will cherish in my heart for the rest of my life and I cannot wait to make more memories in my final four semesters. Fall semester brings students back to campus, the start of classes, colder weather, and philanthropies. One focus of Greek Life is the opportunity to get involved and give to various causes. Every year, Alpha Theta Alpha has a walk to bring greater awareness to our chapter’s philanthropy, Breast Cancer. All proceeds from the walk go towards Fox Chase Cancer Center. On October 21st from 11 am to 2 pm, ATA will host our 4th annual walk at McCarthy Stadium. Family and friends are invited to enjoy music, snacks, raffles, face painting, and other activities!

If you are interested in signing up for the walk or making a donation, please visit: http:// donate.foxchase.org/site/TR?fr_id=1150&pg=entry!

Getting involved in service through Greek Life is not limited to just your chapter’s philanthropy. As an organization, we have branched out to also participate in the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s annual Light The Night Walk. This fundraiser helps support the research of blood cancer treatments that zero in on cancer cells and destroy them as well as immunotherapy drugs that use a patient’s own immune system to kill cancer. On October 27th, we will go to the Philadelphia Museum of Art and walk among other families and friends all united to raise money to battle this disease. If you are interested in donating to Alpha Theta Alpha’s team fundraiser, please visit: https://pages.lightthenight.org/epa/Phi18/sistersofalphathetaalpha! ATA is also teaming up with organizations across campus for La Salle’s first dance marathon to raise money for childhood cancer through the B+ Foundation. From Greek Life, to athletic teams, to faculty and staff, the La Salle community is raising money through November 3 for “Explorathon.” A handful of teams have already raised over $1,000 for this great cause and there is still three weeks to go! If you are interested in donating to a specific organization or join as an individual, please visit: https://www.beposfdn.org/bpos_index.aspx?eventtag=LU2018! There is a stigma surrounding Greek Life that consists of hazing, extreme alcohol consumption, unbrotherly or sisterly-like conduct, and many other negative connotations. Greek Life at La Salle has given me the opposite of that and has become my extended family. Some of my best memories at La Salle are because of the people in all of the organizations and come from the opportunities Greek Life has given me to get involved. Alpha Sigma Tau raises money for the Women’s Wellness Initiative, Delta Phi Epsilon raises money through Deepher Dude for Cystic Fibrosis (coming up on November 30!), Gamma Phi Beta partners with Girls on the Run, and Phi , Mu supports Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia through an annual flag football tournament. Alpha Chi Rho hosts a basketball tournament for the Brain Tumor Association, Alpha Phi Delta brings awareness to Pancreatic Cancer throughout the month of November, Delta Sigma Phi runs a blood drive across campus, Sigma Phi Epsilon raises money for Childhood Cancer research and brings awareness by shaving their heads in the spring semester, and Sigma Phi Lambda’s annual 5k raises thousands of dollars for La Salle Academy, an elementary school for children of low-income families in Philadelphia. All of La Salle’s Greek Life organizations capitalize on the opportunity to come together as a group and raise money for different causes throughout the school year. I am so proud and thankful to be a part of a community of people that strive to be involved and give back and break the stereotype that so often gets attached to Greek Life.

Emilee is a junior Communications major with a focus in Journalism at La Salle University. She is the Social Media Director for La Salle's Her Campus chapter, the coordinator for Project Haiti, the Sports Editor for La Salle's newspaper The Collegian, and the Corresponding Secretary for Alpha Theta Alpha.
Hi everyone! My name is Grace, and I’m a junior at La Salle University. Currently, I’m studying Communications with a focus on Journalism accompanied with an English minor. Writing is a strong passion I’ve always had, and I hope one day, my words can inspire people the way writing has inspired me.