books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

The Bounce Back After Midterms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Salle chapter.

If you’re anything like me, the first half of the semester is a trail run. Getting acclimated to a new schedule, seeking out what classes are easy vs. hard, finding out which classes you actually have to do work in to succeed, and managing a social life can be very demanding. Thus, resulting in things, such as grades, suffering. This is a little reminder that the bounce back is always greater than the setback.

When you receive your midterm scores, hopefully, you’re pleased with your grades. But, if not, right now is your chance to turn that around. Instead of sulking in your bad results take a moment and think of what you’ve been slacking in. Have you been skipping class? Neglecting those five point assignments? Handing in assignments late? Or, simply just doing poorly on tests? Whatever the case may be, figure it out and fix it.

If you’re skipping class, go. Not doing your five-point assignments, do them, after all, those points add up. Ask yourself, why are you handing in assignments late? Maybe, plan to start your assignments earlier or use a planner so you don’t forget. If you’re doing poorly on tests, either study throughout the course of the semester instead of only right before a test. That way you retain information over a course of time instead of cramming. Or, go to office hours to have the teacher explain the material differently than in class.

Regardless, now is the time for you to make that comeback. Use the second half of the semester to turn things around and save your GPA. Our library is open pretty late usually till 1 am. Utilize it. I, personally, find it extremely helpful to go there and get a lot work done. Before I know it, hours have gone by and majority of my assignments are complete.

This is the start of your comeback season. Do what you need to do in order to turn your grades around. Stay focused, positive, and disregard anything that could get in the way of your success. You got this and I believe in you!!

Tyller Moorer

La Salle '20

Tyller is a graduate student-athlete Communication: Journalism major and English minor from New Jersey. She has a passion for writing and enjoys seeing her writing touch other people.