This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Salle chapter.

I think that my mom is the strongest woman I know. And no, she does not have guns of steel but her soul and heart are strong. She has fought many battles in the past and I remember that domestic abuse was one her most difficult battles. I saw how that affected her whole being: physically, mentally, and emotionally. Once she overcame this battle, she did not know how to be herself again. Being in a toxic relationship eats and eats at your self-esteem. It deteriorates the image that you have of yourself. Some partners are verbally abusive, physically abusive, and some have even killed their significant others. So many women and men try to come out of these abusive relationships but it only causes them more pain from their partner, however when they do escape they are different people. When speaking to the survivors of these relationships, many mentioned the same thing; it took a while for them to feel beautiful again.

I want to remind everyone, especially to you reading this; you are so beautiful. Those freckles on your face? Love it. That one dimple on the side of your face? Adorable. That toothy smile that you have? So gorgeous. The way you tuck your hair behind your ears, or the way you run your hands through your hair? I have never seen someone shine so much. I want you to know that you are worthy of the most precious kind of love. You deserve to have someone love you completely and healthily. You are strong. You deserve the best this world has to offer you. Never accept anything other than that. And if you, reading this, don’t feel like this I want you to know it is OK. Be with yourself and explore who you are. I hope you treat yourself right and buy yourself things that make you happy. Get a nap in and have a cup of your favorite drink. Self-care is the first step in seeing the beauty in you.

Below I have compiled a daily routine for yourself on your journey to feeling beautiful again. This is precious to me and something that has been passed to me from countless women who survived domestic abuse. I hope you use it daily.

1. Loving Shampoo And Conditioner

• Massage into scalp and feel the love of others seep into your thoughts. May come with fuzzy feelings and warmth.

1. Healthy Scented Body Wash

• Scrub away at all the insecurities you have about your body. May come with the feeling of acceptance and love, as well as glowing skin.

1. A Pain Away Brush

• Use when negative thoughts are trying to get into your mind. May come with clarity and a peaceful mind.

1. A Can of Compliments

• Say something nice to yourself. Best if used daily. May take time to believe them but say them anyway.

1. A Tub of Respect Lotion

• Make sure to rub this all over your heart, mind, and soul. Know your worth!

1. Jar of Tears

• Used when you feel like you can’t handle it anymore or when it gets difficult to get out of bed. May come with puffy eyes and redness but it is necessary for healing.

1. A Spritzer in the scent of Treat Yourself

• Best if used daily. Take a nap, go for a walk, buy ice cream, or eat your favorite food. May come with feeling of self-appreciation and self-love.

*All products can be found through a friend or loved one. They also come from yourself.*

Ariadne Cortez

La Salle '20

I am an avid reader and writer of everything and anything. I am a major foodie, so I try to visit new restaurants whenever I get the chance. One of my favorite things to do is study different languages and learn how to speak them!
Tyller Moorer

La Salle '20

Tyller is a graduate student-athlete Communication: Journalism major and English minor from New Jersey. She has a passion for writing and enjoys seeing her writing touch other people.