Why I Joined A Sorority My Junior Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

In seventh grade, the teacher passed out a questionnaire asking what colleges I would like to go to, what state I would like to move to, and what extracurricular activities I would be interested in joining.  With most of the questions, I had no idea what to put, except for one.  I wanted to join a sorority.  I thought a sorority would be filled with fun parties, meeting people all the time, and living in a beautiful home with your sisters.  

Years passed and I was finally moving into my 4×4 dorm room with my first ever roommate, who would later become my best friend. Within the first week, Kutztown held a Welcome Week that displayed all the clubs and organizations you could join. Although I secretly still wanted to join a sorority, I put it away in a box and simply put it on a shelf. I didn’t know what I wanted to get involved in but decided I would just go with the flow. I felt I wasn’t ready to join. I’m not sure if it was if I felt I wasn’t good enough or didn’t fit “the ideal” sorority girl. It was like wanting to be something, but constantly thinking there’s no way I can ever get to that level of confidence and beauty. 

I was now in my junior year at Kutztown University with a plethora of clubs and organizations tied to my name. My roommates would agree I am always going, with meetings almost every day. Even though I was very involved at the time, I still had this desire to join a sorority. I wondered if there were other people on campus who I could be missing out from having in my life. I googled more about the sororities on our campus and what their philanthropies were. It was at a concert this summer that I decided, ‘This is it. It’s either now or never that.’ OneRepublic became my reason to join.

During the recruitment process, I met so many girls that I truly am lucky to call my sisters. I will be the first to say I thought sororities and fraternities were just people who liked to party. I feel terrible to say I believed the stereotypical idea. I was proud to say I did the recruitment process by myself. I was able to educate myself more about what Greek life is exactly about and how they give back to the community. It’s not just about partying.

I can truly say I feel happy and complete now at Kutztown. I am so proud and honored to be apart of my sorority. I have learned so much more about things like cystic fibrosis and our history. The girls I met have given me so much joy and love already. My advice to anyone is to never allow anyone to change your perspective on something. If you have a dream to go do something, go with it but with your whole heart. I cannot imagine what my life would’ve been like if I haven’t met the wonderful sisters I have today. Even though I have only been in my sorority for a short period of time, I cannot wait to grow and prosper, as well as meet other sisters from around the country. 

Born in Scranton, PA, Cara is a marketing student at Kuztown University of Pennsylvania. She enjoys posting anything related to pugs, watching drama rom. movies, and eating a plethora of pizza.
.