This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

There is nothing quite like a good book. Getting lost in a fictional world with imaginary characters allows you get lost in your world too, forgetting everything and everyone around you. Reading a book is good for the soul, no matter if the book is a classic, award-winning novel or a trashy romance from the drug store. There are so many things a couple hours of reading can do for you and your well-being.

Reading is a great relaxation method because it requires minimal effort. All you have to do is find a comfy and quiet spot and cuddle up with a warm blanket and a new book. Reading will lower your heart rate and blood pressure, allowing some of your stress to melt away. A couple hours in a minimal, stress-free environment will refresh you mind. It will give the restart you need to take on the week, no matter what it may throw your way.

A good book can inspire you. The author of the book put their heart and soul into their novel. Their hard work and dedication can inspire you to let your creative side out. Maybe their plot or characters will inspire you to create a world of your own. You could create one so great that you could inspire others to write as well, continuing the cycle. But, the inspiration is not confined to just writing. Maybe the characters in the book are avid hikers, and they inspired you to take a hike along a local trail. Embrace whatever the book has to offer. Learn from it and try something new. You never know where it may lead you.

Reading is meant to entertain you. This is one of the most obvious jobs and purposes of a book. Despite everything else the author may be trying to accomplish, the one overall purpose every author has is to entertain its readers. Whether you laugh or cry while reading, the book is affecting you; it is entertaining you. Embrace it. Embrace those feelings. Allow the novel to move you like your favorite TV show or movie. Because in the end, all everyone is trying to do is enjoy the life they have, with a little help of some brilliant authors and novels.

Courtney Morstatt is a Professional Writing student at Kutztown University.