Sports Soccer Crowd
Sports Soccer Crowd
Tiffany Meh / Spoon

Tips for the New School Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

As we knew it would, summer flew by too quickly, and now it’s time to get back to the university grind. Looking over my entire coursework for the semester is stressful and overwhelming, and I can’t help but wonder how exactly I’ll keep up with everything while also retaining my sanity. Here is a list of tips I remind myself of throughout each semester that help me keep my peace of mind and continue to live a healthy life. 

Manage Your Time

I have constantly been told to focus on my time management since freshman year of high school, but I have to admit it’s a helpful tip. I wouldn’t be anywhere without my planner and writing everything down. Keeping yourself organized and knowing when you’ll have the time to fit everything into the day is so important.

Eat and Sleep

This one seems like it shouldn’t need to be said, but time gets away from me every so often, and I miss meals. But a healthy body equals a healthy mind. It’s essential to look after yourself, especially during difficult periods.

Ask for Help

It seems really intimidating to talk to professors, but if you’re struggling with something, you have to talk to them. Even emailing them will show them you’re dedicated to working hard in their class and care about your grade. It took me a while to get used to doing so, but it has really eased my anxiety to reach out. 

Remember, You Can Say ‘No’

I have to remind myself it’s okay to say “no” if I don’t want to do something. It’s too overwhelming to say yes to everything people ask you to do. You don’t always have to be the one to cover someone’s shift at work or be the one who volunteers for six different clubs that expect too much. Keep life balanced.

Put Yourself First

It took me too long to realize that no one will look out for me more than myself, and I need to be my own first priority. It’s okay to drop certain things if they become too much for your mental health; that’s what matters the most.

Breathe

I always keep a note by my desk that says to take things one day at a time and just breathe. Focus on the task in front of you in the moment—not what the rest of the semester holds. Just breathe and relax. You will overcome your obstacles no matter how difficult they seem at the time. It’s a part of life, and everything will fall into place.

Jessica Garrison is a professional writing major and women's, gender, and sexuality studies minor at Kutztown University.