Surviving Finals Week of the 2022 Fall Semester: Just 6 Tips & Tricks to Make Your Finals Week Just a Little More Bearable

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

By Alyssa Alfinito

As finals week approaches, the stress in the air lingers. It is as if a dark cloud looms above the heads of every student on campus, and even some of the faculty. As someone who has been a student for the last six years of my “adult” life, I feel as if I have gained some tips and tricks for surviving what we all know as the dreaded finals week

Please note that these tips & tricks come from my personal experience as a 25-year-old graduate student, rather than a “professional opinion.”

1. Self Care

This is probably the most important tip for a successful finals week. Providing yourself with patience and healthy self-care techniques is a wonderful way to destress. Everyone has different ways of self-care, such as baths, going to a therapy session, petting your cat, watching a tv show, dancing to music, etc. But the most important thing is fitting some of these methods into your busy schedule, even if it’s 5 minutes of self-care! You are the most important person in your life, so make sure that you’re giving yourself love, light, and care! 

1. Time Management

Even though it sounds basic, time management is a key skill to utilize, especially during finals week. I love using my planner, my calendar app on my phone, a calendar on my wall, and a notes app for anything that pops into my head that I need to get done that week. Try not to overload your schedule if you know you are already busy. It is tough to manage time when you have classes, finals, assignments, and other things, but that doesn’t mean shoving everything all into a few days and burning yourself out if you don’t have to. 

Some of my favorite organization apps include the classic Calendar app, Calendly, and Outlook/Google Calendar.

1. Go outside

Social Scientist, Michelle Kondo, notes that “the physiological response to being outside in nature is real, and it’s measurable…” (2021). She also notes that nature gives both positive physical and psychological benefits to one’s mind and body. So…go outside! If you have to pop on a coat, mittens, and a hat, go for it. If it’s nicer outside, sit in the grass and read a book. Hug a tree. Count the amount of wildlife you see. Getting the benefits from the sun and the outdoors is one of the best things you can do for both your physical and mental health. It doesn’t solve your problems, but it can give you a moment of reprieve. 

For more information on Michelle Kondo’s research please visit the following reference: Avitt, Andrew. (2021). The wellness benefits of the great outdoors. USDA. https://www.fs.usda.gov/features/wellness-benefits-great-outdoors

1. Keep a routine

Alongside making your bed, try to keep a routine. Whether or not it truly takes 21 days or longer to form a habit as many have said, keeping a routine even during finals week can help ease the stress you’re feeling. Wake up with enough time to make a healthy breakfast. After breakfast, give yourself time to study a bit or read a book for fun. Take a walk outside before really starting your day. Don’t just wake up, roll out of bed, and head to your final. Then, your brain won’t feel that sense of routine that it may crave in a week of chaos and stress.

1. Get some sleep

Sleep is essential. Countless amounts of researchers have found that sleep is essential for recharging our minds and bodies, as well as keeping our immune systems stronger. Besides the scientific background of sleep that I could get into, sleep is just important to your well-being. Listen to your body when it needs sleep, even if you only have enough time for a 20-minute nap, take that nap! Your brain will be more alert. You will be able to focus on your finals and your studies more. 

1. Reach out to professors & use campus resources

I cannot stress enough how important it is to use the resources that are available to you. When you’re finding yourself at your wit’s end and struggling on a paper or final project, please utilize resources on campus. Use your campus writing center, tutoring center, career center, and other academic services that may help you feel supported. Most of all, talk to your professors! Send them an email or meet with them during office hours. 

While there are many more tips & tricks that can be used during finals week, these 6 are some of the most important I have used throughout my educational journey in college. Whether you’re an undergrad or graduate student, the last few weeks of a semester can be the most stressful. Check on yourself, check on your friends, and be kind! 

Alyssa Alfinito

Kutztown '23

graduate studies in student affairs higher ed undergraduate degree in psychology graduate intern at lehigh pride center graduate assistant manager at KU writing center photographer, writer, traveler, book lover