ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The New Semester is Starting…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Summer’s over. I know, I know; we all don’t want to admit it. It’s still the beginning of the semester, and it hasn’t really settled in yet that it’s time to get back into school. As the year goes by, I tend to find my workload becoming more time-consuming and stressful, but also very fulfilling. Below, I have compiled a few tips to help you get ready. 

1.      Return from a entertaining and RESTFUL summer.

If you enjoyed your summer vacation by doing whatever makes your little heart happy, then you are probably rested up for the semester. I hope you used the last couple of months to unwind and have a blast, because now it’s time to return to papers, tests, and speeches.

2.    Try not to get overwhelmed when you read the syllabus.

I cannot count how many times a class syllabus has stressed me out on the first day. I’m not sure if it’s seeing all of the work load at once, or if it’s finally hitting me that summer’s over.  Either way, knowing I have a research paper due in one class and an exam in another class on the same day tends to get to me, even if it’s several weeks away. For now, just look it over and remind yourself that it will all work out in the end.

3.  Get organized.

Purchase a planner and get your life together. These things have saved my GPA more times than I would care to admit. Even just writing down due dates will greatly improve your performance. But if you can manage to plan out a homework/study schedule and stick to it for the whole semester, you will probably find yourself a little calmer.

4.  Find a quiet place.

Sometimes you need an area where you can retreat to and get away from the all the campus energy. It could be under a secluded tree, a hidden corner in the library, or wherever you feel comfortable. This spot is perfect for much-needed study sessions or if you need a couple moments to regroup after a difficult class.

5. Join a club or organization.

If you are a freshman, this is a great way to introduce yourself to new people. It’s also a good option for an upperclassman looking for something to do during the free hour. This could give you a great break from all the classes and homework. Also, certain organizations could present you with amazing opportunities, like traveling, professional connections, memories, and more!