Measuring
Measuring
Ellen Gibbs / Spoon

My Favorite Seasonal Recipes (Veganized)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

The time between Halloween and Christmas is always awkward. Nobody really knows whether to keep the jack-o-lanterns in the yard, or set up the Christmas tree. The great thing about this time of year is although the time in between Halloween and Christmas may feel awkward, the seasonal cuisine is universal. Making food is a great way to feel festive and seasonal without the pressure of choosing a holiday. Now is the time to continue indulging in your pumpkin spice, but also incorporate amazing flavors such as peppermint into your recipes. If the recipes I included weren’t already perfect, they are also vegan! I chose vegan recipes so that everyone can try these without restrictions, and so non-vegans can see that plant based eating can be super versatile and exciting!

Cranberry Dark Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe from Food.com

For my birthday this past October, my boyfriend and I went to the Aaron Burr House in New Hope, PA. The hostess of the airbnb was not only an angel, but an incredible chef and baker. During our stay, she made these delectable chocolate chip muffins with cranberries and sugar crystals on top. These literally remind me of this time of year in a baked good. Serving these warm will comfort you during the cold weather. 

INGREDIENTS: 

2 cups flour 

2 teaspoons baking powder 

¼ teaspoon salt 

1 ½ cups chopped cranberries (fresh preferred)

1 cup granulated sugar 

2 flax eggs 

¾ cup almond milk 

½ cup vegetable oil

1 teaspoon vanilla 

½ cup dark chocolate chips 

coarse sugar for garnish 

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit 

Mix dry ingredients 

Mix sugar and wet ingredients 

Combine wet and dry mixtures 

Fold in chopped cranberries and chocolate chips, being careful not to overmix 

Spoon batter into muffin tin and sprinkle coarse sugar on top 

Bake for around 20 minutes, or until golden

Vanilla Pumpkin Pie Protein Smoothie

I’ve always been a huge fan of a great smoothie. Being back at school, for the longest time I didn’t have a blender. After my roommate bought one, I was over the moon about all of the delicious creations I could make. I discovered this smoothie completely accidentally. After a workout one day, I wanted something with protein that will keep me full, but that tastes great. In my original recipe, I do use Greek yogurt. To veganize this, you can easily just use dairy free vanilla yogurt, and it will virtually taste the same. 

INGREDIENTS:

¾ cup pumpkin pie greek yogurt OR vanilla flavored dairy free yogurt 

2 cups kale (spinach or mixed greens work as well)

1 scoop vanilla protein powder 

½ cup frozen berries (you can use any berries but I usually use either blueberries and strawberries or a blend of cranberries, raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries. Apples would be good too, just add ice if you use fresh fruit!)

½ cup almond milk 

pumpkin pie spice to taste (if you use vanilla flavored, add more PPS)

cinnamon to taste 

water if needed to help blend 

DIRECTIONS:

Blend it all together in a high speed blender and enjoy! 

Peppermint Mocha Recipe inspired by thereciperebel.com

During this time, the days are getting shorter, and the weather is growing colder. What better way is there to battle the chilliness than cuddling up with a hot beverage? This recipe is comforting and will warm your soul from the inside out, while also preparing you for the holiday season. I did not include the specific measurements to the ingredients list because coffee is personal. This drink is extremely customizable, whether you want it sweeter, more bitter, or with more peppermint. The world is your oyster. 

INGREDIENTS:

sugar 

almond milk 

brewed coffee

unsweetened cocoa powder  

candy canes or mint extract 

dairy free whipped cream (optional) 

DIRECTIONS:

In a saucepan, heat the almond milk, sugar, and cocoa on medium heat until bubbles begin to form 

Remove from heat and stir in coffee and candy cane or extract

Serve in a mug topped with dairy free whipped cream and crushed candy canes

Pumpkin French Toast Topped With Cinnamon Apples

This is another of my personal recipes that I just came up with one day. This is definitely more of an October recipe, but I think it’s still appropriate considering that it’s only the beginning of November. Not only is this recipe delicious, but it is also healthy! I personally use sugar free maple syrup, which saves from me a ton of extra sugar that I just don’t need. I also do not add any extra sugar to the French toast mixture itself or the apples. In addition, I know you’re probably confused as to how French toast can be made vegan. The product Just Egg is a lifesaver for situations like this. It is basically a plant based egg replacement, but it mimics the taste and texture of real eggs. You can use this to make scrambled eggs or omelettes too! This product has made veganizing recipes extremely easy as well as tasty. If the taste and texture isn’t good enough, a serving of Just Egg also has the same amount of protein as one regular egg. If you can’t find Just Egg or you are not vegan, eggs are fine too! 

INGREDIENTS:

2-3 pieces of bread (use whatever bread you like)

3 tablespoons Just Egg OR one egg 

¼ cup pumpkin puree 

½ cup almond milk 

1 teaspoon vanilla 

½ honeycrisp apple 

1 teaspoon salt 

butter/cooking spray 

maple syrup to taste 

pumpkin pie spice to taste 

cinnamon to taste 

DIRECTIONS:

Cut up half of your apple into small pieces 

Place in a small skillet on medium heat, greased with butter or cooking spray 

Coat with a generous amount of cinnamon and mix thoroughly 

While the apples cook, combine egg, pumpkin puree milk, vanilla, salt, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon in a shallow dish 

On medium heat, grease a medium sized skillet

Dip bread into the mixture thoroughly 

Once hot, place bread onto the skillet 

Be sure to mix the apples every now and then! 

After about 3 minutes or until browned, flip the bread to the opposite side

Repeat for each piece of bread

Once the apples are done, they should be soft and fragrant 

Place the bread onto a plate and top with butter (optional), apples, syrup, and extra cinnamon 

Enjoy with a nice cup of coffee!

Sarah Mengel

Kutztown '23

Senior English major with a minor coffee addiction :)
Jena Fowler

Kutztown '21

Music lover, writer, avid Taylor Swift connoisseur