My Favorite Lyrics to “Humble and Kind” by Tim McGraw

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

I’m a country music kind of girl. My favorite country song ever is “Humble and Kind” by Tim McGraw. Some of you reading might want to skip right by this because you hate country music, but trust me. Give this song a chance. Would it be crazy to say that a song has changed the way I live my life? Well, this song means a lot to me, and it was the very first country song I had ever listened to. Needless to say, it has now turned into my life motto. 

Not only has this song won a Grammy and won the CMT Music “Video of the Year” award in 2016, but this song was McGraw’s way of giving advice to his children about being kind, to not steal, don’t cheat, and don’t hold a grudge. It has an extremely important message to it that I believe everyone should hear and live by. This song is about staying humble and kind, two of the most important traits someone could have in my opinion. It’s about being excited about your victories and accomplishments by staying humble, while also not letting them control how you treat others or how you live your life. Here are some of my favorite lyrics of the song that holds a lot of meaning to me. 

“Don’t take for granted the love this life gives you. When you get where you’re going, don’t forget turn back around. Help the next one in line. Always stay humble and kind.”

I love this line because it’s important to stay true to your roots. When you get all of the things you’ve ever wanted out of life or when you finally landed your dream career, it’s important to look back at the people and experiences that helped you get to that point. 

“Visit grandpa every chance that you can. It won’t be wasted time.”

Grandparents are wise, loving, and above all, you’re their world. We sometimes forget that our grandparents don’t live forever, though we desperately wish they would. It’s important to value your time with your grandparents and not take them for granted.

“Hold the door, say please, say thank you. Don’t steal, don’t cheat, and don’t lie. I know you got mountains to climb, but always stay humble and kind.”

I love this line. We all have things that we are struggling with, hardships we are going through, things we’re trying to move on from, and bad days. But that should never be a reason to steal, cheat, or lie. Always do the right thing, regardless of the hardships you’re facing. Remain kind. 

“When the dreams you’re dreamin’ come to you. When the work you put in is realized, let yourself feel the pride but always stay humble and kind.”

It’s important to let yourself feel excited, proud, and happy, but remember to not let that high control how you treat others. Remember where you came from, be proud of where you are now. But above it all, remain humble and stay kind. 

This truly is a song to live by. Each lyric holds a special message. All that McGraw is trying to say in this song is that no matter what life throws at you, always remember to be humble and kind.

Morgan Harrar

Kutztown '23

Hey friends! My name is Morgan Harrar. I attend Kutztown University with a major in Communication Studies with a focus in social media. I'm excited to share my thoughts, advice, and opinions with you all. I enjoy dancing for the Kutztown Dance Team, photography, biking, and fashion!
Jena Fowler

Kutztown '21

Music lover, writer, avid Taylor Swift connoisseur