This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Since I was a little girl, my mother always reminded me of myself worth. She would follow up with saying that it was up to me to determine the type of woman I’d grow up to be without letting anyone disrupt the process. Of course, I promised to remember, but I also questioned why she had to inform me of something everyone should know. 

It wasn’t until I starting growing up that I realized why she always told me. I will be the first to say my high school years tested my self confidence to extreme levels. In college, I still questioned my self. I wondered when I would find the “a-ha” moment in my life; The feeling of full acceptance, knowing who I am and everything in between. 

At the end of 2017, I promised myself I would start a journey. I began realizing I wanted to delve more into the person I was, searching for who I truly am as a person. While recognizing my goal, I had to process what the steps would be in order to begin. While it has only been 3 months since I began this process, I’ve come to my senses about how important self worth is.

Self worth is telling yourself why you matter. It’s reminding yourself that you do matter, you do deserve all good things, and not tolerating the negatives. It’s being proud of who you are, what you like, and not letting others discourage you from doing just that.  So many times we look for others approval, or focus too much on people’s opinions rather than listening to our own. I finally came to my senses with all of this. If I were to follow the steps, the wishes and thoughts of what other people think I should be, I WOULDN’T be anything close to who I am right now.

It’s important for everyone to remember their self worth. Regardless of anything that happens, you must remind yourself of who you are. It may seem hard at times, and by no means if it the easily thing to be accustomed to, but no one should have to go through troubles they know they don’t deserve. Whether it be changing your attitude about life, cutting individuals out, or even starting a new hobby. These small steps will leave to a healthier, more positive lifestyle.

By becoming the person I am right in this moment, I can say I am happier, stronger, and wiser. I’ve realized the type of person I am and to not allow myself to stray too far away from it. I can proudly say that, in life, I regret no mistakes or situations I’ve endured. I’ve simply done everything the best I could. My advice is to stay true to yourself. Stay unshaken by those willing break you, and, as always, remember your self worth.

Born in Scranton, PA, Cara is a marketing student at Kuztown University of Pennsylvania. She enjoys posting anything related to pugs, watching drama rom. movies, and eating a plethora of pizza.