I Am Proud to be a Golden Bear

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

In light of the uncertainty that is sweeping through the world, I am honored to call myself a Golden Bear. It’s impossible to ignore the injustice and terror that has begun to consume our nation. Each day, I wake up to yet another thing that sets our progress back and makes fighting for equality that much harder. Often times I get angry and am eager to do something, but I never know where to start. While writing about inequality and discrimination is one thing, I always feel there is something else I should be doing. I came to the conclusion that the most important thing I can do right now is be empathetic and understanding.

Recently, I saw that Michigan State took their own stand. The University protected it’s students by refusing to release the immigration status of those enrolled. I was excited, and almost relieved, to see that a school with a great national reputation decided to make a stand. From then on, I wondered about Kutztown and how, or if, they would respond to recent events as well.

While I have always been proud to be a student at such an amazing and supportive institution, I was elated to receive an email from the University’s President just a few short days later.

Dr. Kenneth Hawkinson, Kutztown University’s President, began by addressing the circumstances that have been affecting us both nationally, and as a collegiate.

“The United States of America recently held its Presidential Inauguration which resulted in the confirmation of our 45th President. I continue to recognize that many find the decisions being made by the U.S. President’s administration to be controversial and there may be a range of emotions experienced at this time. I assure you that Kutztown University values every member of our community and works every day to provide an inclusive and safe environment with respect for all. 

As an academic community, we cherish the expression of free speech and the robust exchange of ideas. The ability to engage in academic discourse in an open, honest and respectful manner is what makes us unique.” (Hawkinson)

Dr. Hawkinson responded to the uncertainty we are experiencing in a very professional way. Instead of attacking one party and causing a division between those who support versus those who don’t, he simply spoke free of bias with the pure intention of reaching out to students. He made it known that they are supported. As anyone involved in the world of education knows: “Education is the most powerful weapon in which we can use to change the world.” –Nelson Mandela. I firmly believe this was President Hawkinson’s intent. He was vigilant on raising awareness to those who attend the University that he is completely invested in.

Concluding his message he also shared:

“Let us be true to the values I spoke of at the beginning of this message.  In my address I spoke of the attributes of an enlightened person: “These people are calm, settled, and rooted.  They are not blown off course by storms.  They don’t crumble in adversity.  Their minds are consistent and their hearts are dependable… they display humility, restraint, reticence, temperance, respect, and soft self-discipline.”

Let us all display these virtues as we move on to the next stage in the journey of our nation and our university.”

I encourage you to move on with respect, and understanding. Together we can build a community free of the prejudice that has slowly begun to destroy us. Together, we can defy radical ideals before they reach the point of no return. Together, we can do this. We have a say in how we let this affect us. We are proud to be Golden Bears. 

Keep in mind that what the great MLK Jr. once said,  is still very relevant today: 

“I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal.” – Martin Luther King Jr.

My name is Carmelina Stolzenberg and I'm a senior at Kutztown University. I've always been passionate about writing as it has helped me through my life experiences. Being an English major- writing is a huge part of my life. You can probably find me drinking green tea with a book in my hand on any given day. My goal for HerCampus is to write about topics I am inspired by and share them with an audience that can hopefully find something to relate to in my writing.