This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Though I used to write my Her Campus articles about one topic, and the research I’ve done on that topic, these days I find myself writing articles unrelated to one another. This is both positive and negative in my opinion. I would much rather have a steady topic to write about each week, but since that isn’t the case, I have been sharing random stories from my life that are occurring at the time of my writing.

This week, I decided to focus on my health like I used to. I’ve been a vegetarian for almost two years now, and although that may not seem like a long time to some, I am proud of myself for sticking with it for so long. I decided to do it more for the reason of how meat is produced these days. Of course I love animals immensely, but learning how meat is made and processed shocked me and learning the effects of meat to one’s body disgusted and scared me. From then on, I was cautious of the food I ate and really started learning about my body and the foods I consume.

Reading more health books, I learned of a detox and I took an interest in it. My boss bought me the complete detox for Christmas and this is now the second time I’ve done it. The first time I did it, I didn’t feel much of a difference, but this time I felt a huge difference. The detox is built to help you figure out what foods work with your body and what foods don’t. This time I did the detox I figured out I have a reaction to gluten.

I’ve been having terrible migraines for about a month now but couldn’t pinpoint the problem. At first, I wanted to blame it on the concussion I had about a year ago, but some people looked at me like I was crazy. How could concussion symptoms come back after so long? Well, it is possible. The headaches are caused from tension, but as I began this detox I had to cut gluten out of my food since that’s part of the detox. Day one of no gluten and I began to feel better. I did the detox for one week and did not get a single migraine. When I finally realized this, I was amazed.

Now what I must do is get tested for celiac to be sure I don’t have a real medical issue with gluten, for my safety, but even if I don’t have celiac, I will stray away from gluten because of the effects it has on my body.

I encourage everyone to take a moment and access the way they feel each day when they wake up. If you feel sluggish and tired every day, chances are you may be consuming something your body doesn’t agree with.

While being a member of Kutztown University’s Her Campus, I was the Vice President and lead editor. Her Campus afforded me many opportunities to voice my thoughts and opinions freely, and let them be heard by anyone reading. I found Her Campus to be a great tool in helping me advance my future in writing and editing.