This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

I’m sure everyone has seen all of the crazy food hacks since apps like Tik Tok have gained popularity. From last year’s cloud bread, to all of the quarantine baking, here are food and fitness trends I’ve seen so far this year.

Dry Scooping

This sounds weird and that’s because it kind of is. Many gym rats and fitness influencers have been posting that they actually take their pre workout dry. Pre workout is essentially a substance, usually a powder or drink, that contains caffeine and other substances in order to achieve the most beneficial workout possible. Usually, if the pre workout is a powder, you would mix it with water and drink it. If you use a product such as Celsius, which is a drink, you do not need to mix anything (this is what I use). People are now just taking the dry scoop of pre workout like a shot of alcohol. I have never seen this before until recently. I’m sure it yields the same benefits, but how are they not choking on the powder? And why would they do this instead of mixing it with water? It probably makes sense to those who do it, but I unfortunately just don’t get it.

Oatmeal Wave

The trend of making extravagant oatmeal bowls actually started at the end of last year, but I’ve just seen so many of them this year that I had to add it into this list. People have strived to show others how oatmeal doesn’t have to be boring. Many oatmeal enthusiasts display delicious and aesthetically pleasing bowls of oatmeal that contain ingredients we all probably have right now. I love this trend because like oatmeal, it’s just wholesome. It is teaching people today that breakfast is important and it does not have to be boring or unhealthy (or expensive). I have made so many different kinds of oatmeal due to this trend. And don’t even get me started on my obsession with overnight oats that stemmed from this trend.

Glute Activation

I know we all have heard that for glute day, it’s important to activate the glutes. I always thought this was the dumbest thing ever and such a waste of precious gym time, when it actually does wonders for your glutes. If you do not activate your glutes, your quads will take over. Sure, it’s always good to work your quads too, but if you are just looking to get those glute gains, try using booty bands to activate your glutes. I literally just bought some on Amazon for $12 today. 

Feta Pasta

I have seen this God-forsaken pasta all over my For You page on Tik Tok. Although I have yet to try it, I must admit it does look pretty good. It starts with some cherry tomatoes covered in olive oil and then seasoned with garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, and garlic powder. Then, you put a block of feta cheese right in the center. Top it all off with some red pepper chili flakes and stick into a 350 degree oven until the tomatoes look soft and are sizzling. Using a fork, break apart the half melted feta block and combine into the tomatoes. You then add pasta, any other vegetables, and basil. It is essentially like a cheesy pasta dish with 50% less work. Of course, if you’re Italian, your nonna is probably rolling in her grave, but it is an easy and affordable dish. Although this dish looks scrumptious, I can just imagine the stomach pains from the garlic and cheese (lactose intolerant gang). I don’t know how open I am personally to trying it for that reason, but other than that, this dish is pretty solid.

Sarah Mengel

Kutztown '23

Senior English major with a minor coffee addiction :)
Jena Fowler

Kutztown '21

Music lover, writer, avid Taylor Swift connoisseur