This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Starting out in a fun and steamy way, FireFly Lane is continuously surprising us. This episode, fittingly entitled by starting off with Tully and the doughnut giving paramedic man, Max, doing the dirty tango in a montage of various different places. This is a fresh and fun way to begin from such a questionable place the previous episode ended. After that palette cleansers were taken to Johnny and Kate in the present with a little more interaction between them and already having arguments.Yikes.. Any time there are scenes between them I’m curious to know more about their past and hopefully the series will divulge more into how they came together.

Suddenly we’re brought back to the past again with a flashback of these two besties in the 70’s. This is where Kate’s mom finds out that Tully’s mom, Cloud, doesn’t actually have cancer, she just gets high. Tully is thoroughly embarrassed by her mother’s actions and that she’s not exactly a traditional mom. Her past with her mom isn’t the best one and I just don’t think she wants pity from others. Luckily Kate’s mom was so understanding and told Tully  could be or do anything she puts her mind to.

Making her feel like a star, Kate’s mom urges her to pursue journalism, because Tully could truly be a star. I found it fascinating that Tully got the idea for her passion of journalism from Kate’s mom, and that’s where she started having a one track mind. Immediately we see a different outlook from Cloud in a scene where they were all  dancing with no worries, including Kate. Though just as soon as the scene is fun, lively, and makes you forget the bad stuff Cloud has done in the past, Cloud starts suddenly uncontrollably crying, making us all, once again, sigh in disappointment, . Kate, being the optimistic friend, just brushes off the moment and talks about how admirably free Cloud is.

From there they just talk about boys and how much anger Tully and Kate both feel towards Pat Richman for what happened. This anger gives them fuel for a revenge plan, involving showing up at a highschool, confidence, and nair.  Once they get there though Pat Richman is nowhere to be found. So these two besties decide to have an actual good time and dance it up with Kate’s brother, Sean and his friend Robbie. Then uh oh, they were spotted by a faculty member and ran for the door.

Even more shockingly who do they see being a delinquent with his friends when they eventually make it to the parking lot? Pat Richman. This catches Tully off guard so much once she tries to confront him, she drops the bottle of nair and can’t go through with the plan. I think anyone in her position would have a hard time confronting their rapist, so I am totally here for Tully in this scene. Kate does right by her though and tries to pull her away from the situation and drive home. Tully then proceeds to back the car up and out of rage steps on the gas almost running over Pat Richman.

Luckily, Kate was there and talked sense into Tully and saved her from possible murder charges. Kate wins friend of the century for that one. In that moment Tully cries and tells Kate the best way for her to get revenge is to be the next greatest journalist of our time. Which frankly, I loved that she said that. It was such an empowering moment for her and speaks volumes for her strength.

In this moment she learns to not focus on boys, but to focus on herself. This becomes clearer in present time when Kate is reminiscing about kissing and loving moments, but Tully says that great kisses are the only dangerous ones because they make you think you’re in love. This line from Tully speaks to me on another level. She then goes on to talk about how great of a kisser Max is. This makes Kate question it and think Tully might love him, immediately she shuts down the possibility, like normal. Going to the scene immediately afterward with Max and Tully getting steamy, he tries to be more intimate and she creates an argument to push him away and make him leave.

This is so frustrating because, yes they are fairly different, but completely shippable. Dramatic and sad-toned music started playing in the next scene with Tully’s half glass of wine, sparking up a joint, wearing the paramedics sweatshirt seemingly in deep thought. Of course, the other shocking shoe drops and she collapses, shattering her wine glass. Kate always being there finds her passed out attempting to revive her, when the scene cuts out. Flash forward to the future funeral Kate’s crying with her daughter Marah in the car outside a church. Granted this wasn’t a pivotal episode, but I’m still hooked on this insightful storyline. Also can I just ask what we are all thinking? Who dies? Is it our beloved Tully Hart?!?

Hi my names Amanda G! I'm a junior at Kutztown University and have a enormous sweet tooth. I want everyone to live and laugh. Hopefully my stories will help with that. I believe in the truth and the brighter side of life. I also believe in the power of Bagel Bar on Mainstreet, which is truly a gift. So sit back, relax, and be you at KU and in life. 
Jena Fowler

Kutztown '21

Music lover, writer, avid Taylor Swift connoisseur