This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

The other day someone asked me what advice I would give to incoming freshman. I told them, “Whoever you think you are, take that idea and throw it away. Do different things, things you never thought you’d do before. Be someone the old you wouldn’t have known.” I realized that this advice applied to more than just freshman. Anyone who is looking to step outside of their comfort zone, anyone who’s looking to start again can use this advice. 

When I was in high school, I was miserable. Absolutely, completely miserable. I dreaded going every morning and struggled to get through every day. I didn’t have a lot of friends and I barely interacted with anyone. For the most part, I was alone. When I arrived at Kutztown, I was afraid that I’d be the same way. My own fear of interaction would keep me from meeting new people and joining new clubs. Something was different though. I found myself feeling those same feelings, but instead of stopping myself, I took those feelings and turned them into initiatives. I knew I wouldn’t usually step outside of my comfort zone, so that pushed me to do so. Looking back, the Mae who entered Kutztown doesn’t even know the Mae now. And for good reason. All of these things that I never thought I could or would do – here I am. I am different now for the better and looking back, I’m amazed at all of the things that I have been able to accomplish. 

I was able to change who I was because of my own fear. I was afraid of talking to new people and afraid that they wouldn’t like me. Even though I was afraid, I also knew that I could meet new friends and enjoy their company – something I hadn’t been able to do trapped inside my shell. Another reason I was able to change my perspective was because I had incredible support and faith from those around me. When I was abandoned by co-chair midway through the semester, my advisor pushed me to have confidence in myself. When I doubted my abilities to interact with others, my supervisors assured me that I could. When I told myself I wasn’t going to get in to something, everyone around me told me I would. 

So my words of wisdom – that I’ve come to encounter myself – are take who you thought you were and throw that idea away. Do something you didn’t think you could. Maybe you’ll be able to do it and maybe you won’t, but the most important part is that you push yourself outside of your comfort zone. Be a new you and you’ll find a whole new world.