The Ultimate Anti-Valentine’s Day Playlist (aka A Bunch of Break-Up Songs)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

1. “We Are Never Getting Back Together” by Taylor Swift

Best lyric: “And I’m like, I’m just, I mean this is exhausting, you know? Like we are never getting back together, like, ever”

2. “Before He Cheats” by Carrie Underwood

Best lyric: “I might have saved a little trouble for the next girl. A-’cause the next time that he cheats. Oh, you know it won’t be on me”

3. “Good In Goodbye” by Madison Beer

Best lyric: “You put the “over” in lover, put the “ex” in next. Ain’t no “I” in trouble, just the “U” since we met ’cause you’re toxic, boy”

4. “Driver’s License” by Olivia Rodrigo

Best lyric: “And I just can’t imagine how you could be so okay now that I’m gone. Guess you didn’t mean what you wrote in that song about me ‘cause you said forever, now I drive alone past your street”

5. “Better Than Revenge” by Taylor Swift

Best lyric: “I underestimated just who I was dealing with. She had to know the pain was beating on me like a drum. She underestimated just who she was stealing from”

Side note: if you listen to the lyrics closely, it’s literally the plot of season 1 of Gossip Girl with Serena and Blair.

Blair Waldorf love gif
Giphy

6. “No Scrubs” by TLC

Best lyric: “A scrub is a guy who can’t get no love from me”

7. ‘Stronger” by Britney Spears

Best lyric: “My loneliness ain’t killing me no more” 

Side note: Its nod to the lyric “My loneliness is killing me” in her iconic song “…Baby One More Time”, only new, improved, and empowered.

8. “Clean” by Taylor Swift

Best lyric: “Gone was any trace of you, I think I am finally clean” 

9. “I Hate Myself For Loving You” by Joan Jett & The Blackhearts

Best lyric: “Can’t break free from the things that you do. I wanna walk but I run back to you. That’s why I hate myself for loving you”

10. “Wrecking Ball” by Miley Cyrus

Best lyric: “I never hit so hard in love. All I wanted was to break your walls. All you ever did was wreck me.”

The Lala

11. “Picture To Burn” by Taylor Swift

Best lyric: “So watch me strike a match on all my wasted time. As far as I’m concerned, you’re just another picture to burn”

12. “Gives You Hell” by The All-American Rejects

Best lyric: “And truth be told I miss you. And truth be told I’m lying.”

13. “Potential Breakup Song” by Aly and AJ (Explicit Version)

Best lyric: “The type of guy who doesn’t see what he has until she leaves. Don’t let me go ‘cause without me, you know you’re lost, wise up now or pay the cost. Soon you will know.”

14. “Stronger (What Doesn’t Kill You)” by Kelly Clarkson

Best lyric: “You think you got the best of me. Think you had the last laugh. Bet you think that everything good is gone. Think you left me broken down. Think that I’d come running back. Baby you don’t know me, ’cause you’re dead wrong”

15. “Should’ve Said No” by Taylor Swift

Best lyric: “You should’ve thought twice before you let it all go. You should’ve known that word like what you did with her would get back to me. And I should’ve been there in the back of your mind. I shouldn’t be asking myself why. You shouldn’t be beggin’ for forgiveness at my feet”

16. “You Don’t Own Me” by SAYGRACE Ft. G-Eazy

Best lyric: “I’m not just one of your many toys.”

17. “The Story Of Us” by Taylor Swift

Best lyric: “A simple complication. Miscommunications lead to fall out. So many things that I wish you knew. So many walls up, I can’t break through.”

18. “Somebody That I Used To Know” by Gotye

Best lyric: “Make out like it never happened and that we were nothing. And I don’t even need your love. But you treat me like a stranger and that feels so rough.”

19. “White Horse” by Taylor Swift

Best lyric: “Maybe I was naive, got lost in your eyes. And never really had a chance. My mistake, I didn’t know to be in love, you had to fight to have the upper hand.”

20. “When Did Your Heart Go Missing?” by Rooney

Best lyric: “I treat you like a princess, but your life is just one big mess”

Nick Miller New Girl GIF People are the worst
GIPHY / 20th Century Fox Television

21. “All Too Well” by Taylor Swift

Best lyric: “And you call me up again. Just to break me like a promise. So casually cruel in the name of being honest.”

22. “Apologize” by One Republic Ft. Timbaland

Best lyric: “Sorry like an angel Heaven let me think was you. But I’m afraid, it’s too late to apologize.”

23. “Since You’ve Been Gone” by Kelly Clarkson

Best lyric: “How come I’d never hear you say ‘I just wanna be with you’? Guess you never felt that way. But since you been gone, I can breathe for the first time. I’m so moving on, yeah, yeah.”

24. “I Knew You Were Trouble” by Taylor Swift

Best lyric: “No apologies. He’ll never see you cry. Pretends he doesn’t know. That he’s the reason why. You’re drowning.”

25. “Needed Me” by Rihanna

Best lyric: “Tryna fix your inner issues with a bad bitch. Didn’t they tell you that I was a savage? Fuck your white horse and a carriage. Bet you never could imagine. Never told you you could have it.”

Daphne drinking
Netflix / Giphy.com

26. “My Happy Ending” by Avril Lavigne

Best lyric: “And all of the memories, so close to me, just fade away. All this time you were pretending. So much for my happy ending.”

27. “Leave (Get Out)” by JoJo

Best lyric: “I wonder how I bought all the lies. You said that you would treat me right. But you were just a waste of time.”

28. “Back To December” by Taylor Swift

Best lyric: “Because the last time you saw me is still burned in the back of your mind. You gave me roses and I left them there to die.”

29. “Hot N Cold” by Katy Perry

Best lyric: “Yeah you PMS like a bitch, I would know. And you over think, always speak cryptically.”

30. Survivor by Destiny’s Child

Best lyric: “You thought that I’d be weak without ya, but I’m stronger. You thought that I’d be broke without ya, but I’m richer. You thought that I’d be sad without ya, I love harder. You thought I wouldn’t grow without ya, now I’m wiser!”

New Girl Nick Miller TV GIF
Giphy / Fox

31. “What The Hell” by Avril Lavigne

Best lyric: “So, what if I go out on a million dates. You never call or listen to me anyway. I’d rather rage than sit around and wait all day.”

32. “Irreplaceable” by Beyonce

Best lyric: “Standing in the front yard, telling me how I’m such a fool, talking about how I’ll never ever find a man like you. You got me twisted.”

34. “Back To Black” by Amy Winehouse

Best lyric: “We only said goodbye with words. I died a hundred times. You go back to her. And I go back to Black.”

35. “Someone Like You” by Adele

Best lyric: “You know how the time flies. Only yesterday was the time of our lives.”

Leslie Knope explaining Galentine's day
Giphy

36. “I Will Survive” by Gloria Gaynor

Best lyric: “As long as I know how to love, I know I’ll stay alive. I’ve got all my life to live. And I’ve got all my love to give and I’ll survive.”

37. “I Don’t Fuck With You” by Big Sean

Best lyric: “I don’t give a fuck about you or anything that you do. Don’t give a fuck about you or anything that you do.”

38. “7 Things” by Miley Cyrus

Best lyric: “You made me laugh, you made me cry, I don’t know which side to buy. Your friends, they’re jerks, and when you act like them, just know it hurts. I wanna be with the one I know.”

39. “Skinny Love” by Birdy

Best lyric: “And in the morning, I’ll be with you. But it will be a different kind ‘cause I’ll be holding all the tickets and you’ll be owning all the fines.”

40. “Bad Blood” by Taylor Swift

Best lyric: “Band-aids don’t fix bullet holes. You say sorry just for show. You live like that, you live with ghosts.”

Taylor Swift and Taylor Lautner gif
Giphy

41. “So What” by P!nk

Best lyric: “And guess what? I’m having more fun. And now that we’re done. I’m gonna show you tonight. I’m alright. I’m just fine.”

42. “Don’t Speak” by No Doubt

Best lyric: “Don’t speak, I know what you’re thinkin’. I don’t need your reasons. Don’t tell me ’cause it hurts.”

43. “Love Will Tear Us Apart” by Joy Division

Best lyric: “Is my timing that flawed, our respect run so dry? Yet there’s still this appeal that we’ve kept through our lives.”

44. “Love The Way You Lie” by Rihanna Ft. Eminem

Best lyric: “You ever love somebody so much you can barely breathe when you’re with them? You meet and neither one of you even know what hit ’em.”

45. “Tainted Love” by Soft Cell

Best lyric: “The love we share seems to go nowhere, and I lost my light. For I toss and turn, can’t sleep at night”

New Girl Nick Miller Emotional GIF
Giphy / Fox

46. “Total Eclipse of the Heart” by Bonnie Tyler

Best lyric: “Once upon a time I was falling in love. But now I’m only falling apart. There’s nothing I can do. A total eclipse of the heart.”

47. “Bye Bye Bye” by *NSYNC

Best lyric: “I loved you endlessly. When you weren’t there for me. So now it’s time to leave and make it alone.”

48. “Rolling In The Deep” by Adele

Best lyric: “The scars of your love remind me of us. They keep me thinking that we almost had it all.”

49. “Go Your Own Way” by Fleetwood Mac

“Loving you isn’t the right thing to do. How can I ever change things that I feel?”

50. “You Oughta Know” by Alanis Morrisette

“It was a slap in the face. How quickly I was replaced. And are you thinking of me when you fuck her?”

A gif of Leslie Knope from Parks and Recreation
Giphy

Hello! My name is Sami Gotskind! I'm from Chicago and graduated from the University of Kansas with a degree in Acting and Journalism. I also working on getting a certificate in Fashion Styling from the Fashion Institute of Technology. I was a writer for Her Campus KU from 2020 to 2022 and for Her Campus Nationals since 2021. I was also the Writing Director for Her Campus KU in 2022. I love film, TV, fashion, pop culture, history, music, and feminism. My friends describe me as an old soul, an avid Euphoria fan, a fashion icon, a Swiftie, an Audrey Hepburn-Blair Waldorf fanatic, a future New Yorker, and a Gossip Girl historian. Look out for me on your TV screens in the near future! Thank you for reading my articles!