Wellness

The Importance of Quitting From a Woman Afraid of Failure

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Quitting. It’s a scary word. For many years, the word ‘quitting’ has had a bad connotation, with people associating failure and laziness with it. But I think it’s time to change that. The act of quitting is not inherently bad … only society has made it seem so. In today’s day and age, quitting can actually be a very brave and honest choice to make, especially with societal standards and people around you trying to talk you out of it. I’m here to tell you that you are not lazy or weak or a failure because you choose to quit. In reality, you’re choosing what is best for yourself, and that’s the most important decision you can make. 

When people quit, most of the general population judges them, especially those you’re closest to. In high school, I wanted to quit school soccer. It made me miserable. But my parents wouldn’t let me, because they did not believe in quitting. Though, I didn’t want to quit because I wasn’t good or it was too much work. I wanted to quit because I genuinely hated it, and it took a terrible toll on my mental and physical health. In this situation, it would have been better for me to quit. I was a young adult, and I knew myself. When you know yourself, and are comfortable with what you want, you can make your own decision without anyone else’s judgement.

Quitting when it is better for your mental health is not weak or lazy, it is brave and smart. Just because everyone around you is telling you ‘no’ and ‘don’t quit’, sometimes stepping away from the activity causing you stress will make your life so much better, and you will be a better person for it.

Though, there are two issues with quitting to consider. If you’re quitting because you’re scared, then take a step back and think about it, because you may only be quitting because you don’t want to fail. In that regard, you may be doing yourself a disservice. You are counting yourself out before you’re even giving yourself a chance. If you’re quitting because you genuinely hate what you’re doing and it is causing distress to your mental health, then absolutely quit. Nothing is worse than making yourself miserable. 

It is also seen as rude/mean to quit in a different sense … in relationships. Whether they be romantic, familial or platonic it is looked down upon and shamed when someone decides to end a relationship for their benefit. The truth is though, some people are just not meant to be, and some relationships just drain you. If you are feeling bad about yourself after hanging out with someone, then they are not meant to be in your life.

So, quit. Quit the relationship, and take the time for yourself. It is not selfish. It is not rude. It is simply choosing yourself. And there is nothing wrong with choosing yourself. Toxic people exist everywhere and they have no place in your life. Don’t let others, including the other party, guilt you into staying in a toxic relationship, because in the end it is not healthy for either of you.

Some people come into your life and teach you a lesson, and then you grow up. You grow out of each other, and you become different people. And although the relationship doesn’t necessarily have to turn toxic at that point, most times it does. It will leave one person feeling betrayed and the other one feeling guilty. But in this situation, quitting is better than staying put and trying to work it out. People may not even call it quitting, but ‘moving on’, but it’s all the same idea. 

With everyone around us, yelling and arguing and telling us never to give up, it can be exhausting. It can be scary to even consider quitting something you are involved in. But in the end, it is your life, it is not theirs. So every decision you make will ultimately affect you. It is important to choose yourself, and not worry about others’ judgement. Quitting is not bad. So, take a breath and remember that you are not less of a person just because you decided to quit.