jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

Suicide Prevention Month and Why it is Important

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

September is National Suicide Prevention month. In the past decades, mental health has been a topic that is emerging in conversations today.

Not only is it good to take care of yourself, but knowing all the resources and people that can help you through tough times is beneficial as well. This month is to bring awareness to the stigmatization, especially around talking about it publicly. Many celebrities have come forward speaking about their mental health, like Zendaya for example.

“Yeah, of course I go to therapy,” she says. “I mean, if anybody is able to possess the financial means to go to therapy, I would recommend they do that. I think it’s a beautiful thing. You know, there’s nothing wrong with working on yourself and dealing with those things with someone who can help you, someone who can talk to you, who’s not your mom or whatever. Who has no bias.”

Zendaya, British Vogue

Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the United States. It is an action that affects a community of people. In this day and age, mental health is more accepted. People are realizing that it’s okay to not be okay! This month is to bring awareness to those who feel unseen, unheard or alone. This article is to provide resources for you to reach out when you have these feelings.

Mental health is not just with suicide. Your mentality can harm your psychical and physiological being. This month is for all of those who suffer. It affects all ages, genders and cultures.

Many clothing brands have been created in order to bring attention to mental health, such as Demetrius Harmon’s YOU MATTER clothing line that is aimed to shed light on mental health.

WAys to Help

1. ASk

It is never a bad thing to reach out to a friend or family member who you think is struggling.

2. OFfer support

If you do find a friend in need, be a shoulder that they can cry on until they are able to get the help they need.

3. Find resources

Introduce your friends or family members to qualified professionals who can provide them with the help they need.

4. Stick with them

Once they find someone who is capable of helping, stay around and stay connected to make sure they have a strong support system as they go through this tough time. Suicide is real, and it impacts a whole group, not just a particular person.

Reminder: YOu are LOved, YOu are enough, and YOU Matter

Just Checking In Mental Health Hub Hero Here For You?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

Resources

National Suicide Prevention Hotlines

1. 870-273-8255

Emergency Hotline

1. 911

For more resources for any concern about your mental health, visit https://afsp.org/suicide-prevention-resources

I am a Freshman majoring in Psychology who loves sharing my many opinions on pop culture.