This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Breakups, the ending of a relationship, we’ve all been there. Whether it be an amicable breakup or a screaming match with tears, everyone needs a song, or songs, to listen to. Listening to music can allow you to process your emotions in both a fun and safe way. Don’t text your ex! You also get to scream and shout! Don’t worry, I hand selected a few songs for whatever break up you’re going through. 

1. The…we should be friends break up

This is a classic break up where one person in the relationship finds it better suited if they and their partner just be friends. This usually is one sided and the person getting broken up will continue being friends in hopes of getting back together with the one that initiated the break up. Here are three songs you should listen to if you just got the “we should be friends”

Songs: “Liability” by Lorde, “I Wish You Would” by Taylor Swift, “Complicated” by Avril Lavigne

2. The…we have grown apart break up

This one can be the absolute worst if you still love your partner, but you have just grown apart and fallen out of love. Although your partner will be missed, it is best that you separate. To get through this hard time here’s a song from Ariana Grande and Nathan Skyes about a married couple who know they need to end their relationship. 

Song: “Almost is Never Enough” by Ariana Grande

3. The…you cheated on me break up

If you’re breaking up because your partner cheated on you there’s going to be a lot of crying and anger, so here are some songs you should scream at the top of your lungs in the car while driving down a dirt road. Remember that you are a hot girl and they don’t deserve you. 

Songs: “IDGAF” by Dua Lipa, “I Don’t Fuck With You” by Big Sean, “Depend on Myself” by TLC 

4. The…splitting up before college break up

This breakup can come in many different ways. Maybe you want to explore yourself when you enter college and don’t want a partner, maybe your friends are pressuring you to end things that way you can experience hookups, whatever it is, it is sometimes hard so here’s some songs to get you through not only the high school to college transition, but the taken to single transition. 

Songs: “Lose Somebody” by OneRepublic, “Tell me How” by Paramore

5. The…I had no idea break up

When you aren’t expecting a break up you may be consumed with what went wrong and if there was something you could have done. There probably wasn’t if they are breaking up with you and you should just listen to these songs to wallow in the sadness. But remember, you will find someone who checks off all your boxes and right now you are single in your twenties!

Songs: “This is the Last Time” by Taylor Swift, “Last Kiss” by Taylor Swift

Hopefully these songs can help you get through any break up you may have. Remember, listening to music is a healthy coping mechanism, seriously don’t text him.

Here’s a link to the spotify playlist: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4KZYR7Jqt9sJaLHbE4okTo?si=3d1c23b765a0431c

Hello everyone! My name is Aubree Chavez and I am a third-year student studying English with a minor in Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. In my free time I enjoy writing, reading, and uploading videos on my youtube channel.