This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Saturday Night Live is the classic all-American show, and I am happy to announce that it returned on Sept. 27 for its 40th season. With many rumors spreading about the returning cast and the new members, I thought I would put it to rest.  Here is what YOU need to know:

Not surprisingly, John Milhiser, Noel Wells and Brooke Wheelen were let go after only one season, and Nasim Pedrad left after five seasons to star in a new show. This season’s new members include former writer, Michael Che and Pete Davidson. Che has replaced Cecily Strong as the new Weekend Update host and is the first African-American host in the history of Saturday Night Live.  The past two weeks with Weekend Update have received mixed reviews, including disappointment about Che’s performance, but the new featured player, Sasheer Zamata, took Weekend Update by storm.  Hopefully they will step it up in the upcoming weeks.

So far this season we have seen appearances from Chris Pratt and Sarah Silverman and musical guests including Ariana Grande and Maroon 5. It is confirmed that long time SNL comedian Bill Hader will return as the host on Oct. 11 with Hozier as the musical guest.  On Feb. 15, there will be a 40th Anniversary Special, which will last three hours and is expecting to house many past favorite SNL comedians. (I’m praying for Justin Timberlake!)