The rules of KU basketball camping

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Photo: KU’s national championship 2008 banner in Allen Fieldhouse

Basketball season has begun. I am proud to say that I have gone to every home basketball game, when classes are in session, during my four years at KU. For those of you confused how camping works, here are the rules:

Lottery

1. Lottery is the morning after a home basketball game. It is at 6 a.m. on weekdays and 8 a.m. on weekends. The lottery is in Allen Fieldhouse or in the parking garage next door. The doors open 30 minutes before lottery. The doors are locked at 6 a.m. or 8 a.m. sharp and you will miss lottery if you aren’t inside the garage or Allen Fieldhouse before then.
  2. The lottery order is by order of when groups sign in. This year, groups can sign in online starting one hour before the lottery. In years past, sign-in was by paper. People would stand outside Allen Fieldhouse from 4 a.m. or earlier until the doors opened just to sign their group in.
  3. For every five people in a group, the group can draw a number. A group can have up to 30 people in it. The lowest number is what is recorded.
  4. After the group draws, you are free to leave or to start camping depending if people decided to suspend it, which is based on a vote before lottery or planned suspensions because of women’s basketball games or other reasons.
  5. Your group number could become lower. For example, a group could pull 247 as their lowest number. But really be 45 because no groups pulled numbers in between. The group actually drew the 45th lowest number pulled.

Camping

1. Camping is from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. on weekdays and from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. on weekends.
  2. Someone from your group must be there during those times if you do not want to take the chance of getting crossed off the list.
  3. At any time, anyone can call roll. If you do not say “here,” your group will be crossed off. You will have to re-sign up at the bottom of the list.
  4. Some people call roll at 9:55 p.m. and then again at 10 p.m. to get people to think it is over at 9:55 p.m. and get groups to leave – don’t be fooled!
  5. At any time groups can vote to suspend camping. Every group has to unanimously vote to suspend it.

Camping is not that bad. It is inside Allen Fieldhouse. There is wi-fi. Some groups bring air mattresses. And, sometimes the basketball players bring the campers pizza. Sounds like a pretty great deal, right? Plus, you get to be a part of an awesome KU tradition!

For those of you not wanting to camp or be in a group, no problem. You can stand in the general admission line for students. However, this line goes in after all the camping groups. There is a small chance that Allen Fieldhouse will be at capacity before the general admission line goes in and you will not get in. I have never seen this happen in four years, but it is a possibility. Either way, enjoy the games. Rock chalk!

Photo: Inside Allen Fieldhouse

Meredith is a senior at the University of Kansas. She is majoring in Journalism and wants to be a foreign correspondent one day.