Pursue Your Passions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

It’s no secret that college is a time in which a lot is happening around you. As a freshman even, I’ve found it to be a bit overwhelming—as expected. There are as many clubs, sports, intramurals, or activities to get involved in as you could possibly think of. Once or twice you’ve probably asked yourself: “what am I going to choose? How do I know what the right path for myself is?” Through the chaos, it’s easy for most to feel lost or even have a bit of an identity crisis. But despite the noise of everyone else trying to tell you what to choose or what to be, I’ve discovered one thing to always be true: Stick to what you are passionate about!

Along with feeling a little overwhelmed or lost, I think that it’s common to feel stuck. But when you focus on what you truly love, the rest will eventually work out.

For example, I used to be very shy about sharing my writing. Though I know that I am nowhere close to a professional writer, it was greatly difficult to share my ideas with others for fear of judgement. However, within the last two years, I started a blog and a journal and I began to attempt to be more open about doing what I love.

Whether it be a cooking, learning a language, reading, sports, running, photography, etc. stick with what you are strongly and whole heartedly passionate about. Along the way, people with similar interests will appear and you will find that you get more excited about doing what you are good at. It becomes a good stress reliever!

Too often, especially in college, the noise of what other people do can distracted us from being who we want to be. Don’t feel as though you have to be someone you are not just for the sake of “fitting in.” Because at the end of the day, at the end of college, it’s all about looking back and knowing that you did what was best for yourself.

Being passionate about something is what makes us uniquely ourselves and college is an important time to stress that because you never know what kind of opportunities doing so will lead you to!

Most importantly, if you don’t know what your passion is, go out a find it! Even the smallest amount of interest could spark something big. Try everything that you possibly can and eventually you will find what suits you! Have no fear and YOU DO YOU!!

first photo, second photo, third photo

My name is Grace, I am 18 years old, and I am currently studying Spanish and Journalism at KU. I'm originally from Omaha, NE and a few of my passions are travel, writing, art, reading, and telling stories. I aspire to travel the globe and my life is mainly centered around figuring out the world. Whether that be languages, traveling, or hearing from other people about their experiences, I love to seek and connect. I hope to share my stories while also be influenced by some of yours! Never stop being curious and do what you love!
Hannah Strader graduated from the University of Kansas in December 2018 with a degree in journalism and creative writing. She has past experience as both a writer and editor for high school and collegiate level newspaper staff and spent the summer of 2017 in London working with Healthista, an online women's health magazine. Her passions include but are not limited to Harry Styles, Taco Bell, witchcraft and books. She has two cats and can recite all the U.S. presidents in order. She's proud to call herself a Her Campus alumni. Formerly the Editor in Chief, Senior Editor, and staff writer at Her Campus KU.