Pretty in Pink Protein Pancakes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

I’m sitting here in bed on a Sunday morning thinking about what I’ll start my day off with, and you’re probably sitting there reading this expecting me to go downstairs and grab a granola bar or piece of fruit. I actually chuckled a little to myself writing those two mini options. Now I’m not shaming you if those are your breakfast of choice, but breakfast can be so much more. In fact, your body needs so much more. I’m sure you all have your mom’s voice in the back of your head telling you breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but I’m also sure you just brush it off like every other thing your mom used to hound you about growing up. A study done in 2013 found the bigger the breakfast the better. It found that women who ate half of their 1,400 daily calories at breakfast lost 80 percent more weight than the women that ate half of their 1,400 daily calories at dinner. That’s right, eating breakfast helps in weight loss!

Yes, you read that right, 700 calories for breakfast. Of course that doesn’t mean eating 700 calories worth of Reese’s Puffs— you’d probably turn into a Reese’s Puff after that many. Within this high calorie amount, you want to make sure to have a balance of carbohydrates, fats and protein. You’re probably racking your brain right now for breakfast foods that can feed your cravings, fuel your body, keep you energized and still be healthy for you. Come up empty? Well, lucky for you, I’ve created a protein-packed, tastebud-craving and creatively healthy breakfast that I’m going to share with you: Red Velvet Pancakes. Read it and read it again: I said “pancakes.”

Feast your eyes and grab a napkin in case of drooling over this killer recipe.

1/3 cup Hungry Jack Pancake Mix

1.7 ounces Oikos Vanilla Greek Yogurt

6 tablespoons of liquid egg whites

½ scoop of Cellucor Red Velvet Protein Powder (you can use any type of protein powder, but this flavor makes them pretty in pink)

Water

Now to make these bad boys:

1. Add Hungry Jack Pancake Mix and protein powder into a bowl and mix together.
  2. Add in the egg whites and Greek yogurt.
  3. Mix together all of the ingredients.
  4. Add in water until the mixture is the consistency of pancake mix.
  5. Heat a skillet and place batter onto the skillet in the size you want.
  6. Top your stack of scrumptious pancakes with whatever else you’re craving that morning.

Now I’m off to make these delicious pancakes! Enjoy!