This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Finals in college can seem extremely intimidating, especially for freshmen. So easily can students get caught up studying and stressing that they forget that self-care can be one of their best tools for success. While it may be hard to put down the books even for twenty minutes, self-care is preservation for our mind, body and soul. Without self-care we find ourselves burning out faster and lacking motivation.

Here are some tips that I think can help students get through finals week.

Eating well

I’m sure we’ve all heard the fact that eating breakfast will improve a student’s performance on a test. Well, it’s true, food fuels our bodies and minds. Our bodies take food and convert that to energy for us to use.

I know from personal experience that when I am studying I don’t think about eating or I don’t think I have time to eat, but that is a terrible mindset. We are never too busy for food. During finals week I recommend carrying granola bars or maybe some fruit to eat before a test to give an extra power boost.

getting sleep

Humans need to sleep to function, period. I know it can seem tempting to stay up into the early hours of the morning to study, but that will do more harm than good. According to the CDC, adults need seven hours or more of sleep a night. A lack of sleep may result in being groggy and having trouble concentrating.

Journaling

I am a huge advocate for journaling. Journaling is an amazing way of processing feelings, emotions and stress, all of which run high during finals week. Taking even just five minutes to journal can help improve our moods and make us feel calmer.

Creating a game plan

Finals can seem a lot all at once and it may feel overwhelming. Taking some time a couple of weeks before finals and creating a game plan can make the whole process feel less intimidating. I suggest getting a planner and writing all due dates and test times. For projects, I usually create personal soft deadlines to help me stay on track with my progress.

Doing something you love

While finals require a lot of studying, it doesn’t mean you can’t make time for yourself. Last year, I made it a goal every day during finals week to watch a movie. During that time, I would stop studying and try not to think about school. It gave me a little oasis of rest throughout the stressful days. Movies might not be for you but taking some time to do something you love is great for your mental break.

I hope that you might be able to apply some of these tips and that they improve your finals week experience. I’m sending love and positive vibes to all of you and wishing you the best of luck.

Hanna Brown is the writing director at the Her Campus at KU (University of Kansas) chapter. She oversees the writing team and acts as the publisher, ensuring all articles meet the Her Campus standards of quality and reverence. In addition to her duties as the publisher, Hanna leads weekly writer meetings and builds a safe environment where writers feel empowered to be creative. Beyond Her Campus, Hanna is the marketing/communication assistant for the Engineering Career Center at KU. Last summer, Hanna interned for Burns & McDonnell as a marketing writer/editor. There, she gained experience writing technical blogs centered around engineering, copy for digital marketing and new releases. She also interned for Southern Star Central Gas Pipeline in corporate communications. A senior at KU, Hanna is pursuing a BSJ in digital marketing communications, advertising and public relations with a minor in history. In her free time, Hanna loves to visit local coffee shops and explore her college town. She is obsessed with the Sims 4 and wants to start a podcast. Her motivation in life is to do everything in love. After college, Hanna hopes to move to the city and start a career in public relations, branding, digital marketing or copy/content writing.