This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Row of potted plants
Photo by Vadim Kaipov from Unsplash
The start of a new season is always a good reason to take time for some self care and reevaluation of how YOU are doing. One of my favorite ways of self care —other than retail therapy—is plant care. Studies have shown that caring for houseplants can have a multitude of benefits, including an increase of productivity, concentration, improved air quality, and a decrease of stress. Also, plant care is a form of self care because there’s no better feeling than seeing your plant thrive from your hard work.  

Since the weather has been warming up, now is the best time to buy houseplants and begin your own household jungle. Here is a small list of plants to start you off. If you believe that you don’t have a green thumb, that’s okay! All these plants are low maintenance, and won’t get mad if you forget to water them. 

Snake plant by window
Photo by Kelly Sikkema from Unsplash

• Snake plant

Tired of succulents? Try keeping a snake plant around. This tough striped plant can survive with forgetful owners who forget to water their plants (me). Just make sure that the soil is completely dry before you water it again, this will help you from overwatering. Snake plants can survive in all types of lighting, but they thrive in medium lighting. However, keep them out of direct sunlight because they can burn. Overall this plant is wonderful to have around, not just for mental health benefits but physical as well. They filter out airborne allergies and cancer-causing pollutants such as benzene, formaldehyde, trichloroethylene, xylene and toluene.

• Pothos

Looking for more green, leafy plants to hang around with? Pothos plants are the perfect fit for you. There are many different types of pothos plants to choose from, all of which are low maintenance and easy to propagate. This plant can thrive in a variety of conditions. It is known for not only improving the air quality of your home, but also for increasing the humidity as well, filtering out xylene, benzene, formaldehyde and trichloroethylene. 

• Parlor Palm 

This plant is perfect if you’re looking to bring the tropics into your home. This exotic-like plant is easy to care for and is pet friendly. The Parlor Palm is also one of top air-purifying plants according to NASA, absorbing formaldehyde, benzene and carbon monoxide. Although it can survive in all types of lighting, it thrives best in medium or indirect lighting. As long as you wait for the soil to dry out, this plant would be a perfect addition for your home. 

Plants in a house
Photo by Huy Phan from Unsplash

Hi guys! To get to know a little about me, I am obsessed with astrology, trying new foods and recipes.