This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

I don’t even want to go to the gym in the first place. Trust me, I would way rather be watching Shameless in my bed with a bag of Flamin’ Hot Cheetos in my hand. But I don’t. I know I’ll feel better, I’ll sleep better, and potentially look better if I go to the gym. So I do.

Image credit

And when I do, I just want to get in, be the productive and ~fit~ college gal I’m trying to be, and get out. Time after time again, I am overwhelmed by the amount of damn boys populating the rec. Seriously, everywhere. Which brings me to the first reason I hate guys at the rec: there are simply too many of them. It is beyond intimidating going into the weight room and being the only girl in there.

If you can muster up the confidence to go into the weight room, there will almost always be a chorus of zealous grunts and moans. Honestly, why? Even the tiniest movement or lift is accompanied by some form of a loud, breathy release. It’s as if these males think that huffing and puffing while bench pressing 75 lbs will make them appear more macho and mannish. Think again, boys. We find it quite odd.

Image credit

And another thing– the staring. You can’t do anything at the gym without having at least four sets of eyes on you. With every squat, deadlift, or lunge, you have to worry about guys looking at your ass. With every stride, jog, or step, you have to worry about guys noticing the way your boobs uncontrollably bounce (which is far more painful than attractive). And with every phone break or water bottle fill-up, you have to worry about guys seeing your red face or sweat beads and thinking it’s unappealing. It is tremendously distracting to try to exercise when you are being stared at like a piece of meat.

Image credit

Guys at the rec are truly a different species. A cutoff-wearing, protein shake-drinking, testosterone-filled species that I would really prefer not encounter when I’m at my most sweaty and fatigued state. At least us ladies have the aerobic room to ourselves for the most part. Then again, there isn’t much actual working out to accomplish with a few yoga mats in front of a wall of mirrors. Oh well. Netflix and Flamin’ Hots sounded better anyway.

Hello! I'm nineteen years old and from a suburb outside Chicago, IL. In my free time, I like to read and write, play with makeup, and spend time with my friends. On the KU campus, I'm majoring in the Strategic Communications side of Journalism with a minor in Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies. I'm also a member of the Gamma Phi Beta sorority. I hope you have as much fun reading my articles as I do writing them :)