The Most Controversial Haircut of our Generation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Short bangs, baby bangs, straight bangs, blunt bangs — call them what you will, but never in this century has a haircut been met with such polarized opinions. Although the undercut man bun does take a close second (see below).

People seem to either love the bangs or hate them. But in the words of Lady Sovereign, “it’s still an obsession.” There is not much of an in-between though, especially in the Twitter-verse. Some have a humorous truth behind them and others are just outlandish digs at those who rock the cut.

There is the love side of things…

Yeah okay, that’s fair.

This burning question.

There’s quite a bit of envy.

And then there is the hate side of things…

Which is a lot of references to cartoons and fictional characters.

90’s FOREVER <3.

These people want answers.

They’re out there Velma. Don’t lose hope. Look at the love section above. 

I think it’s safe to say this is probably targeted at someone in particular. 

Front bangs? As opposed to…?

The hate is mainly unwarranted disdain.

When it comes down to it, it is faceshape that determines whether or not a haircut is the most flattering choice for someone, not the opinions of others. But even then, if you want to rock your hair a certain way, just do it. Confidence looks better than any haircut. 

Kansas raised (no not on a farm) but forever seeking the wanders of the world. She's one part human, one part hairspray, and one part sawdust. Her happiness is rooted in dabbling in various avenues of creative expression. Pursuing an BFA in Industrial Design and minors in Italian and Strategic Communication, she's a full time student and part time hair stylist. You can find her at the dog park, sharing an ice cream cone with her hound or at a coffee shop downtown.