This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Kalli Smith, a KU sophomore in the school of journalism, has a lot of passion. She loves music, enjoys participating in sports, spends her free time writing and cares deeply for animals. Smith was deeply involved in 4H during her formative years in Hiawatha, Kansas and originates from a family with K State loyalties and roots in agriculture. Choosing to attend KU in order to pursue a love for journalism she fostered during her high school years was not an easy decision. The 2015 high school graduate felt confident in her decision to choose journalism as her major, though where she wants to take it is a little tricky.

“I don’t really know what’s going to happen. I’d really like to start as a reporter for a newspaper and work up from there. I want to get a good feel and be confident in my work,” Smith said.

An internship with her local newspaper and working with a wedding magazine spurned contentment with the path she’s chosen, though she’s unsure in what capacity she’d like to work.

“School’s pressure, but a job is literally your only income. You’re not a college student, there’s no way to get out of it,” Smith said on contemplating her future. She thinks maybe she’d like to write for National Geographic to continue working with animals, but she has a lot more to offer.

“I don’t want to just do one thing my whole life. There’s more I want to do,” Smith said. Whether it’s playing guitar, running track, tending to animals or writing a novel, it’s clear Smith has the drive and determination to mold her passions into something that will carry into her career.

Hannah Strader graduated from the University of Kansas in December 2018 with a degree in journalism and creative writing. She has past experience as both a writer and editor for high school and collegiate level newspaper staff and spent the summer of 2017 in London working with Healthista, an online women's health magazine. Her passions include but are not limited to Harry Styles, Taco Bell, witchcraft and books. She has two cats and can recite all the U.S. presidents in order. She's proud to call herself a Her Campus alumni. Formerly the Editor in Chief, Senior Editor, and staff writer at Her Campus KU.