This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Dominique Christina made hearts in the Union swell tonight when she performed her poetry at Tea @ Three as a part of Sexual Assault Awareness Week. I personally was brought to tears by her poems and saw many other teary-eyed students as well. Christina’s poems were mainly about her struggle with growing past her sexual assault experiences and creating new life for herself and her family. She made me think a lot about how women in society today treat themselves and how they struggle with femininity. One poem she performed, entitled “The Period Poem,” particularly struck me. It highlights the highs and lows of entering what most girls’ parents describe as womanhood and the struggles with judgement, fear and a sense of loathing the body you were given because it betrayed you. 

The way she opens up and talks about her daughter and the way she accepts and appreciates her daughter should provoke memories of when you (if you’re a female) started your first period, and how awkward and unwelcome it was. The tweet she mentions makes me think of all the women out there struggling against men who think that they’re better just because of their anatomy. Overall, Christina’s poems just made me think. I’m so grateful for the way my life is, and the way it’s turned out. I realized this after having listened to her speak. It was such an invigorating experience. I challenge you to go and listen to one of her poems and take stock in what your life means to you. 

Then for the rest of the day, “treat yo’ self.” Everyone needs a break to relax; let today be that day. Immerse yourself in a book, or take a bubble bath or anything you really like to do. Because you deserve it.