Jayhawkers VP Candidate: Mitchell Cota

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Candidates have been chosen, platforms established and the Student Senate race is officially on. Make sure you stay up to date with every platform. Here to help learn more about the Jayhawkers coalition is Mitchell Cota, a junior from Overland Park, running as the Jayhawkers Vice President candidate.

1. What are most significant value and messages of your campaign?

As Jayhawkers, we decided to highlight transparency, inclusiveness, diversity and accountability as value guidelines for the election and ideally in office. From the very beginning, we agreed this could not be done using a top-down approach. Good solutions are true solutions and true solutions are not found without actively searching out critical input and advice. This is a philosophy I hope makes it into office next year regardless of the elected officials

2. What are the specific focuses and major changes you hope to make if you win?

As cliche as it sounds, diversity is always the answer. If you can look around this University and say we’ve reached the end goal, you’re incorrect. My focus is to leave a lasting impact on this University’s multicultural attitude. Diversity of all kinds is critical to retention rates, recruitment and of course– perspective. Questioning assumptions and existing standards is absolutely critical to advancing KU among the Nation’s top institutions.

3. If elected, what is the first thing you will address?

Fittingly, my first initiative would be aimed at underrepresented students of the University. As Vice President, my top priority would work to improve and foster direct connections between the Office of Multicultural Affairs and student life through policies that increase retention rates for students of color, minority students & first-generation students.

4. When you’re not being VP, what are you doing for fun?

Fun? Is that a thing? I mean…I like long walks on Wescoe Beach and clumsily bounding from meeting to meeting. I’m honestly kind of a boring homebody. My nights are usually filled will horror movies, Chinese food and my boyfriend Alex, but that’s where I’m most happy. I’ve never been a “Big group” kinda guy.

5. Growing up, did you ever think you would run for something like this?

Absolutely not. As a little kid I was pretty introverted and that was only magnified as I got older. I know the bullying song is becoming a bit overplayed, but as a feminine, Hispanic male in a private Catholic school, competing for leadership roles with my male peers was never something I even considered. I realized pretty quickly that there was a lot that could be done outside the spotlight and behind the scenes. The idea of one day leading a body of 25,000 people never even crossed my mind.

6. What makes Jayhawkers unique?

Every platform released has been developed, researched and approved by the entirety of Jayhawkers. It’s not about getting votes, it’s about getting voices. Jayhawkers believes diversity isn’t about speaking for others; it’s about allowing others to speak.

7. Why should people vote for you?

I think that the idea of “Voting for ME” is somewhat funny and slightly problematic. Yes, I represent a different population than that of which is usually represented within Student Senate. I am non-Greek, multiracial, gay man. I am bringing a my own unique perspective to the Student Body. However, while I have a genuine concern for the populations I represent, I understand the importance of promoting the voices of others as opposed to trying to speak 

for them. People should vote to create a student government that not only listens but questions. The rest of the Jayhawkers and I bring with us a new attitude of inquiry and interest, and THAT is a reason to vote.

8. What does it mean to you to be the VP of the student body?

The most notable might come in the level of accountability that’s placed on the position. As the Vice President, it would be my duty to use that spotlight to create a real community of inclusiveness within the Senate chamber and KU as a whole. An immense level of power is placed in the position, and I would be held responsible for ensuring no one is left out of conversations, no one should be silenced and everyone should be brought to the table.

9. What does your family think about your running for student senate?

Honestly? I just told them yesterday. My parents have always had high expectations for me- probably a lot higher than I have ever had for myself. If we’re being frank, I’m probably more surprised I’m running for Vice President than they are. But I think sometimes you need that kind of backing and encouragement and that is something I will never be short of.

10. How do you balance a social life, school work and winning this campaign?

iCalendar. Google Calendar. Jessie Pringle. TJ Blake. MacKenzie Oatman. But really, I literally can’t do it all and sometimes I have to make choices. I think it gets very tempting to forget my origins in this competitive environment and focus on the prize at the end of the road. But in reality, my family and friends provide a stable ground on which I can build anything and everything. No matter what happens, put your relationships before everything. All the other pieces will fall into place.

11. What does it take to be a successful VP? What characteristics of a person are required to truly make a difference?

I think a successful Vice President is relatable but not ordinary, empathic but still strong, and I think the most important quality of a Vice President is knowing the right times to take a step back and solve an issue from outside the center of spotlight.

12. What inspired you or motivated you to get involved with student senate?

I think everyone comes to college looking for purpose- something to work for. For me, I kind of stumbled into the perfect niche. I realized the role I could play and the goals I could achieve with significantly underrepresented populations at KU. Immediately I knew my role. However, it was Precious Porras that really helped me see the importance of moving into a different, more active role. I needed to move out of my comfort zone and step up to the next challenge. And for that I will am thankful. Regardless of the outcome of this election, I have learned so much about myself and others. This is truly a life altering experience.

13. How has being part of Jayhawkers changed you?

Being a Jayhawkers really made me realize the importance of a broad-range solutions that are necessary to make this University a better place. Just as some people fail to see some of the multicultural aspects of the University, I also needed to have my own blinders removed to see the beauty of the big picture. There is so much that KU has to offer. There are so many opportunities that have yet to be uncovered. Being a Jayhawker has allowed me to see KU in light I never seen before. I can’t wait to continue the rest of my time as a Jayhawker. RockChalkJayhawkers.

Laura Lyndall Fagen is a junior at the University of Kansas majoring in Strategic Communications and Theater. She is a Big Sister with Big Brothers Big Sisters and loves all things volunteering.
Senior studying journalism, strategic communicaions emphaisis, at the University of Kansas. dog lover • cat cuddler • runner • writer • explorer Twitter & Instagram: MacLeanderFacebook: https://www.facebook.com/mackenzie.leander