This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Tis the season to start hunting for internships. Whether you’re looking for winter break or looking ahead to this summer, it’s never too early to start looking for internships. The process can seem intense though. You will be submitting a great deal of applications and hopefully go on just as many interviews. Sometimes in the midst of the chaos it’s hard to decipher if an opportunity is a good one and while I’m not a professional, here are five green flags to look for in an internship.

an established intern program

This green flag was very important to me when I started looking for internships. When a company has an established intern program it means they have experience with interns and normally they’ll have other professional development opportunities. At my previous internship we had several workshops we could attend to learn how to craft a good resume and how to network. We even had a volunteer day!

It’s paid

It is 2022, and interns deserve to be paid for their time. While I understand the thought behind only doing an internship for experience, in this economy it is near impossible to do an internship for free and still manage to get by financially. Plus, being paid is motivation to produce your best work.

Good company culture

This may seem obvious but a good company culture is essential when looking for an internship. You’ll be spending a lot of time with this company so you want to make sure it’s a good environment. Some things to look for are how previous employees feel about the company or how the company celebrates achievements.

Opportunity for employment

Let’s address the elephant in the room. Many interns’ ultimate goal is to be offered full time employment after college. If that’s what you’re looking for, make that a priority in your search. Don’t be afraid to ask in the interview process if that is a possibility. The interview is also about making sure this position would fit YOUR needs, as much as you would fit theirs.

chance to try different skills

As a young adult, sometimes we think we know exactly what we want and most of the time we’re wrong. Before my internship this summer I thought I would never like video production. Turns out, I was wrong. I had to make several videos during my time and I loved it. So much so, that I even signed up for a video production class this semester. All I’m saying is if an internship pushes you out of your comfort zone that isn’t always a bad thing.

As I mentioned before I am no pro at finding internships, but these green flags are a good thing to keep in mind when looking for your best fit. Happy internship hunting!

Hanna Brown is the writing director at the Her Campus at KU (University of Kansas) chapter. She oversees the writing team and acts as the publisher, ensuring all articles meet the Her Campus standards of quality and reverence. In addition to her duties as the publisher, Hanna leads weekly writer meetings and builds a safe environment where writers feel empowered to be creative. Beyond Her Campus, Hanna is the marketing/communication assistant for the Engineering Career Center at KU. Last summer, Hanna interned for Burns & McDonnell as a marketing writer/editor. There, she gained experience writing technical blogs centered around engineering, copy for digital marketing and new releases. She also interned for Southern Star Central Gas Pipeline in corporate communications. A senior at KU, Hanna is pursuing a BSJ in digital marketing communications, advertising and public relations with a minor in history. In her free time, Hanna loves to visit local coffee shops and explore her college town. She is obsessed with the Sims 4 and wants to start a podcast. Her motivation in life is to do everything in love. After college, Hanna hopes to move to the city and start a career in public relations, branding, digital marketing or copy/content writing.