This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

This week has been one of the roughest few days that I have had in quite a while. Despite having exams, quizzes and other important assignments that I need to study for, I have also found it extremely important to find time to calm down and take a break from the chaos. While none of these tactics can heal my current struggles permanently, I thought that there was no better way to share my thoughts and life than to tell you all about the ways that I have been making time for myself to better myself in whatever way that I can 

For starters, there is nothing more underrated than a hot shower. It doesn’t need to be any certain amount of time, but being able to take a breather surrounded by light noise and warm water blanketing you in a way that relieves the tension that you may be feeling in your neck and shoulder muscles specifically. While in a dorm shower or communal bathroom, just taking a moment of silence to relax and have a quick clean up may be just the pick me up, but having your own shower can also bring you peace by adding essential oils (eucalyptus and lavender are my favorites for steaming in a shower) or candles to your space can really make a difference. Bonus points if you have a tub for a nice Epsom salt bath! 

Another somewhat space-conscious option for stress relief in a college setting is yoga. While yoga classes may be available to you through rec. centers and other yoga studios in your town, most days I feel like I don’t have time to go out and take an actual class. However, that doesn’t mean that I cannot manage that time in my own space! I went to T.J. Maxx and found a simple yoga mat for around $8 that is worth every penny for finding a good 15-minute yoga video on YouTube or even just stretching out in the morning or after sitting in one place for a significant amount of time studying. Whether you just need a break or are looking for a quick, lower intensity workout, I have found that yoga has been one of the most important parts of my routine within the past week especially. 

The next simple stress reliever is calling a loved one. During any free time that you have, try calling one of your parents, a friend, a grandparent—anyone who means something to you! I call my mom far too frequently, but I always feel good afterwards and I normally can manage to discuss anything that I have noticed has pulled me down, and she can leave me with good tips and tricks. Even without the potential for a solution, having someone who knows you well and cares about you can be a great tool because they often can bring you hope or even just let you release something from your mind that has been troubling you. Talking things out can help more than you will know, and building a relationship with someone whose company you enjoy can make it even better! 

Lastly, I think that it is important to listen to what your body wants to do. If that means that you take advantage of a nice day and go outside for a quick run before a long study session or even taking a break for a 15 to 30-minute power nap, keeping track of those mental and physical necessities can help you stay on track and feel accomplished in more ways than just academically. Falling behind on your tasks will do nothing but make you feel worse, so finding ways to balance your interests while still remaining on track with your studies and other goals is pivotal to fulfilling your life to the fullest. 

Hi, I'm Lilly and I am a Freshman at the University of Kansas! I love to read, write, shop, and watch movies and TV shows and I am so excited to be able to share these interests with you! I hope to have you stick around:)