This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

It’s inevitable. Classes start, homework piles on, and the summer fun comes to an end. It’s easy to get overwhelmed and let the stress take over. Nevertheless, your mental health is more important than any grade, class, etc. Here are some ways I like to fight the stress of school and keep myself mentally and emotionally healthy. 

1. Take breaks 

For me, this is the most important way to reduce stress. I always get so caught up in all the work to be done that I forget I need to take some time for myself. Whether you like to take small breaks (5 minutes in between study sessions) or longer breaks (taking a whole break day), any form will help your brain calm down and recuperate. Try to do something you enjoy during the break, even if that means just scrolling through TikTok for a few minutes before getting back to work. It is okay (and important) to give your brain a break and take a deep breath before returning to your work. 

1. Get outside

Getting outdoors is proven to be one of the best ways to fight depression and anxiety, reduce stress, and even improve memory. Personally, I love taking little hikes to clear my mind, but you can do anything your heart desires! Watching the sunset, stargazing and meditating outside are great ways to relax in nature without having to do any strenuous activity if that’s not your thing. It can also help boost creativity, so let your creative juices flow and make something amazing.

1. Spend time with friends/family

Sometimes we get so caught up in our work that we neglect our closest relationships. Spending time with friends and family can reduce stress and anxiety and even lengthen your life! It helps remind me that I am more than my classes and homework, and I am loved by many. Take some time out of every week, if you can, to hang out with friends and family and enjoy their company. You may be surprised how much surrounding yourself with ones you love can improve your mental health. 

1. Plan a weekly event 

Having something to look forward to every week, or every few weeks, can keep life from becoming monotonous and boring. My friends and I have bingo and/or trivia on the agenda every week, and it always is something to look forward to. Not only do you get to spend time with friends, you also get to do something out of your routine and take a break from all the work. Bachelorette nights, wine Wednesdays and movie marathons are just some examples of activities I’ve had on my calendar in the past. 

1.  Join a gym/sports class

If you like to stay active, I highly recommend joining a gym or a sports class to reduce stress. From boxing classes to yoga, anything that you enjoy and gets you moving is an amazing (and proven) way to reduce stress and anxiety and to improve mood. It doesn’t have to be strenuous or long, anyway you enjoy getting your heart rate up and releasing endorphins is perfect!

1. Weekend getaway 

If possible, getting out of your town for a weekend can be a nice breath of fresh air if you’ve been stressed and overwhelmed. Split an Airbnb for the weekend with your best friends, camp at a national park, or take a day trip to an exciting part of your state/city. Staying in the same place all semester long can make anyone feel a little stir crazy, so a mini weekend getaway can help you destress for cheap. 

1. Meditate

I know meditation can sometimes seem boring or even hard, but it’s an amazing way to calm your mind and body and keep yourself present. Try to take five minutes a day—in the morning, night or even in between classes—to put your phone down and just be in the present moment. Look up breathing techniques or even download a mediation app to guide you through. Any way you want to meditate is the right way. Here is a great guide on the different kinds of meditation and how to perform them. 

1. Put things in perspective

It is so easy to get caught up in school and think that it is the only important part of your life. You could do poorly on the first quiz in class or get behind on homework and feel like your world is ending. In reality, one bad grade and one missed assignment are not the end of the world. Not even the end of the class or the end of a good grade. When you start to get anxious or freak out about a test, quiz, homework, etc., try to take a step back and put things in perspective. Remind yourself that one grade will not ruin your life, and in the end everything will work out as it should. 

Remember that your mental health and well-being are much more important than any class or assignment. Pick out one of these options if you start to feel overwhelmed and anxious, and remember that everything will work out in the end. Have a great semester and take time to check in on yourself every now and then!