This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

It’s that time in the semester again. Everyone is crammed with tests, homework, quizzes and finals on the horizon. If you’re like me, you are exhausted. In the beginning of the semester, my classes were exciting and homework was just another task I had to complete. Now, it seems like Mount Everest and I didn’t pack any oxygen. In simpler terms, I am burnt out. My classes no longer interest me, and I have to drag myself out of bed in the morning just to get to class. Starting a new assignment or sitting down to study takes multiple cups of caffeine, and most of the time I don’t get the assignment done. But, it is possible to get through academic burnout if you are intentional about it. To deal with academic burnout, you need to remind yourself why school excited you in the first place, find a fun place to study, and give yourself time for some self-care. 

Many many times throughout my college career, I have questioned my choice of major. When school starts to get grueling, I wonder why I’m even putting myself through the struggle, and if I will even be happy at the end of it. If you are starting to have an existential crisis about what you want to do with your life, it’s time to take a step back. It is okay to entertain other majors and other career paths.

When I start to feel this way, I look around. I scroll through the variety of majors offered at my school and imagine a life where I would be studying one of those. I imagine what my schedule would look like, and what I could do with the major after graduating. If it doesn’t excite me, I move on. By the time I’m done with my little imagination station, I always decide that the major I’m in is perfect for me and I would not be any happier if I changed it.

But you may come across a different answer. Maybe you realize that you would be ultimately happier studying something different and pursuing a different path. And that is OKAY. It is okay to change your major, no matter what year in school you are. In fact, I highly recommend you change your major if you want to, because as scary as it may be in the moment, it will make you much happier of a person later on in life. So, it is imperative to take a step back and remember why you chose to pursue this career path and imagine a happy future for yourself. 

Studying?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Unsplash

One of my main issues when I’m studying is getting distracted or getting bored. Finding a study space that nurtures your mind and your ability to study is imperative for dealing with academic burn out. If you are consistently studying in the same place, your mind gets tired of it and it is easy to become stir crazy. Mixing up where you are studying can keep things exciting and help your mind focus.

Personally, I have been studying in my favorite library the entire year. Don’t get me wrong, I love studying there. But recently, I have not been able to sit still every time I go there. So, I have decided to switch up where I go, and it has been much easier to get my work done.

Also, know yourself and pick a place that helps you focus. For me, I like to be around a bunch of other people who are also studying because it motivates me to do my work. Though there are some days when I really don’t want to be around people, so I pick a place that is more secluded. Choosing a study location that is going to motivate you to study while also minimizing distractions will help you break through academic burnout. 

Even though it is important to study and get your work done, it is equally as important to take time for yourself each day (if you can). From taking a full self-care day to just taking five minutes every day to relax, it is important to check in on yourself and make sure you are staying mentally and emotionally healthy. You need at least one day a week that you are not stressed about school or work or etc. Whether that be spending it by yourself in bed, or having a girls’ day out with your friends, taking time away from the things that are causing you stress will help with your academic burnout.

I know at this time in the semester it feels like you are going nonstop, and don’t have time to take off. Maybe you genuinely don’t have time to take a full day off and spend it stress free. If that is the case, you should start taking 15-20 minutes a day to relax and do something good for yourself. Do a face mask, take a long shower, or whatever it is that makes you feel relaxed and happy, and make sure to write it into your schedule. Taking a break from school when you are suffering from burnout will help you stay interested in your studies and focus better. It is extremely hard to pay attention when you are mentally and emotionally struggling. Always remember, your mental health is more important than any grade, class or assignment. 

Academic burnout can make you feel crazy … and exhausted. It’s hard to get out of bed and focus on studying when you just aren’t feeling school anymore. We’re almost there though. The semester is winding to an end, and soon it will be the holiday season and you will not have to worry about assignments any longer … or for at least a month. Take some time for yourself, and switch up your normal study location. Make sure you are pursuing what is really going to make you happy.  We are almost there, I believe in you, and you CAN do it.