How To: Stand Out at Your Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

With summer internships quickly approaching, it is time to update your resumes, put together your cover letters, and nail that interview. Here are my tips to definitely stand out at your upcoming interview!

1.     Be Prepared 

More often than not, you will be asked to bring a copy of your updated resume. DO NOT FORGET IT! If you’re taking the time to go to the interview, you might as well have everything prepared. If you forget your resume, I can guarantee you will not get the job. Professionals will not want someone who forgot something so imperative. Also, if you have any questions about if you should or shouldn’t bring it, bring it anyway.  It’s better to be prepared than under-prepared.

Secondly, research your company in general and their history. It helps to know their past performances and what you think you could do to improve or enhance and area of focus. Think about what you could bring to the team if given the job and also why. This is a common question that almost all interviewers will ask!

2.     Look the Part

For most professional interviews, they will tell you to dress in business attire however, make sure you tailor your outfit based on the company. For example, for a Fashion Internship/ Job you need to be on trend. This is a profession that is unfortunately based on how well you dress. All in all, do your research and when in doubt over dress. A simple black outfit can never be wrong.

3.     Be Confident

This is the most important tip that I can give. Confidence is extremely evident when walking into an interview. Be confident in yourself and your answers. Do not answer questions with ‘like’ or ‘um’. This shows that you are unsure or uneasy about your answers and therefore you lack confidence. Rehearse your answers before hand, and take deep breaths before you go into the room. You can do it!

With these couple tips in your pocket, you will definitely be able to snag that coveted internship or job that you have been lusting over. If you don’t get the job, remember that it wasn’t meant to be and that there are others out there!