This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Honestly… I love breakfast and who doesn’t?

Breakfast is by far the best meal of the day, and if you wanna fight me on it, let’s fight. But seriously, egg white omelets, hash browns, bacon, PANCAKES AND WAFFLES. Not many foods can really top that duo, and that’s probably because of all the sugary goodness that goes into them. But does it really have to be that way?

I was looking up recipes like I do all the time, and I came across a recipe for Greek yogurt blueberry muffins. These weighed in at 130 calories/muffin, so I went ahead and made them just to see how they’d turn out. Well, they were spongy, not the best tasting, molded in about 3 days, and did NOT suffice for the muffins I knew and loved. I even threw chocolate chips in some to see if I’d like those because few things in life can mess up chocolate chip muffins. Nonetheless, I was let down because even the consistency and taste of these were not the greatest. 

Fast forward to today and I thought it was over. I had thrown in the towel after such a fail until…

~PROTEIN MUFFINS~

Image Credit

One of my very best friends became an independent consultant for the company Arbonne, and to try some of the products out, I purchased some basic vanilla and chocolate protein powder. She sent me recipes and all kinds of fun snack/shake ideas, and I have not stopped trying them! As soon as I saw the protein muffin recipe I knew it was time to try operation:turn muffins into good-for-you food once again. 

Here’s what you need: 

4 scoops Vanilla Arbonne (or whatever brand you use) protein powder

1 tsp baking powder

⅛ c olive oil (the recipe calls for coconut oil, but I used this because I straight up just didn’t have coconut oil haha oops?)

¼ c almond milk

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla

BLUEBERRIES!! (personal preference, could also use chocolate chips. I added strawberries to a few as well!!)

To start, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Then, simply, mix all the ingredients into a bowl until consistency is pancake batter-y. 

I greased the muffin tin with spray olive oil since I didn’t use liners. This recipe makes 6 muffins, so fill 6 spots in a muffin tin. (I’m sure y’all know how to do math, but just double the recipe to make a full dozen!!) 

Pop these babies into the oven, and after 13-16, minutes you’ve got the yummiest muffins that are as close to normal muffins as possible! I swear these gluten free, 0 added sugar, and dairy free muffins did NOT disappoint me like my last try at making healthier muffins! They’re so easy and so quick to make. Try them for yourself and improve that fit girl food aesthetic!

Hi! I'm Callie! I’m an Iowa native with a love for people, running, the Jayhawks and chips & salsa because, honestly, who doesn’t?