How to Get Over That One Person

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

This week I was totally planning on writing something else, but this thought really struck me because last night I was crying over my ex, again. I know it might be the blind leading the blind, but I do hope that maybe my ramblings and tips may help you just as they have been helping me.

Cry It Out

Surprisingly, crying it out actually helps. I know it might sound stupid or very weak, but you are actually purging all of you emotions and getting them out of your system, clever huh? It probably won’t feel that awesome while you are bawling, but just think about how one good cry might just get you over what he’s done now.

Realize You Deserve Better

So, I understand how this might not help everyone. But, I know it will help some of you who are struggling like me. People can treat us badly, no matter how much we try to change it. If we don’t make the executive decision to cut it off, they will keep hurting us. So, realize you deserve better that that boy or girl and get the heck out of Dodge.

Say Bye on Social Media

If you read one of my last articles, you would know I love talking about Facebook and other social media. But, in all reality, you can’t get this person out of your head if you see pictures of them on dates. So, delete them on social media. I know this might seem very hard and very petty, but it will help you heal in the long run. If you aren’t comfortable completely unfriending them – just block their posts – it’s easy and they will never know that you did it.

Know that this is Just another Step to a Better Thing

As I’m writing this story, I’m listening to a song called “This” by Darius Rucker. You should all go listen to it – it will probably help your recovery. But, in reality, there is a reason that this relationship didn’t work out. You might never what it is, but just remember that there is someone out there for you – who never make you feel the way you do know. So, take a tip from our friend Darius and remember to say “Thank God for all I missed, ‘cause it led me here to this.”

Well, I hope that these tips might get you on the right track when it comes to your ex. We all know how hard it is to be in college and have to deal with things like this – but, just remember you are one relationship closer to something wonderful.

Shelby is a senior here at KU. As well as being the Admin Director for Her Campus KU and a Chapter Advisor, she is involved in Student Senate and Alpha Delta Pi. Her obsession with Chipotle is never ending and she can make a mean chocolate chip cookie. Follow her on Twitter @shelsncheese and Instagram @shelbyostrom_