woman wearing green graduation cap
woman wearing green graduation cap
Juan Ramos/Unsplash

Before Graduating: LFK Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

1. Go for a Swim in the Chi-Omega Fountain

At KU, Chi-Omega Fountian is a source for all sorts of interesting activities. Whether its canoeing in a circle, floating on a lounger, or completing the classic “ice bucket challenge,” you can’t truly graduate from KU without partaking in the fun. It’s even a tradition to be dunked in the Chi-Omega Fountain on your Birthday, so if nothing else, you have a good excuse!

2. Sled Down the Campanile Hill

Grab a plastic Residence Hall matress, a lunch tray, or even a laundry basket to partake in one of the most fun KU traditions of all. Hundreds of KU students will gather at the top of the Campanile Hill at the first sign of a decent snow. If you haven’t done this, you haven’t lived!

3. Camp for a KU Basketball Game

Join a group, grab some homework, and join the numerous KU students camping out at Allen Field House in order to gaurentee seats (good ones) in the KU Student Section. I know, this doesn’t sound like your idea of “fun,” but trust me when I say that there is no greater feeling above hopping in those first few rows of the student section and having your parents take pictures of you on the TV. You get to make punny signs about the teams, get great views of the action, and feel a sense of accomplishment because you WORKED for those amazing seats!

4. Eat a Crunchy Chicken Cheddar Wrap from Brella’s

KU might be know for a lot of things, but nothing compares to the legendary Crunchy Chicken Cheddar Wrap. We’ve won contests, we’ve coined the name, and we savor every bite. Students will wait in line for one of these baby’s for half their lunch period (especially when they’re $3.50 on Wednesday’s) just to enjoy the delicious trademark.

5. Experience the “Bermuda Triangle”

Yes, I know these bars are traditionally packed with the “not-so-of-age” drinkers, but if you’re a KU student, you haven’t had the full Lawrence college experience if you haven’t felt suffocated in the Boom-Boom room at the Hawk, if you haven’t drunkenly screamed at the TV while watching a KU game at the wheel, or if you haven’t had one too many Moose Bowls on the patio of the Bull. Even if you’re a senior and detest these bars (guilty) you gotta hit the triangle before you consider yourself a true KU grad.

6. Get Free Birthday Shots at Henry’s

A hidden gem of Lawrence, Henry’s doubles as a coffee shop downstairs and a bar upstairs. If you happen to be spending your birthday hopping from bar to bar on Mass St., Henry’s will give you a shot (up to ten) for every person in your group FOR FREE! It’s a FREE LFK tradition that everyone loves to partake in!

7. Dance on the Bar Dressed as a Mermaid at Sandbar

Speaking of Birthday’s, after you grab that free shot at Henry’s, the LFK tradition continues with the legendary mermaid dance on the Sandbar bar top! You get to sing the Sandbar theme song, be a freakin’ mermaid, and get confetti thrown at you while the entire bar sings you happy birthday. If that’s not the best way to turn a year older, I DON’T KNOW WHAT IS.

8. Ride Safebus (Drunk OR Sober)

I know, not exactly the most glamorous sounding way to spend a weekend night, but trust me on this one. There is NOTHING more entertaining than hopping on the safebus and just listening to the incredible conversations of the riders around you. And if you don’t want to do this sober, take some shots and join them in the ridiculous drunk conversation! This is an incredible FREE service that KU provides, and the more people that take advantage of it for safe transportation home, the better.

9. Hangout at the Nest at the Top of the Oread

One of the best views in Lawrence means one of the best places to be. Head on up, grab a drink, and enjoy gazing at the beautiful campus that is KU. Before you know it, you’ll be missing that gorgeous view with a eavy heart. Enjoy it while you can!

10. Collect Every Drink Trinquette from Sandbar

I know I keep bringing up Sandbar, but this is a must. Try every drink, keep every toy like it’s a prize, and experience the famous “Sandbar hangover” that reminds you of just how old you really are now.

11. Take a Picture With the Union Jayhawk

Odds are you probably took a picture with the Jayhawk at some point as a freshmen, so of course you should take another to signify the end of an era! And if you’ve never stopped to snap a pic with the Jayhawk, it’s even more reason to do so! Jayhawks from all over the world have been taking the traditional picture here for years on end. You’re graduating, you worked for this, and it’s finally your turn!

12. Walk Through the Campanile

The day has finally come, fellow Jayhawks, and we’ve waited long enough. We’ve appeased the KU Gods and avoided stepping foot in the Campanile until it was our time, and now that time is here at last. Throw on your cap and gown, grab your bottle of champagne, find your best friends, and march your way proudly down the hill and through the Campanile. We came, we thrived, and we conquered. Congratulations, Jayhawks. Rock Chalk Forever.

Jacey Bishop currently serves as the Editor-in-Chief/President of Her Campus KU. In the past, she has served as the Development Director and the Events Director for HCKU, as well as serving as a content contributor for the past three years. Jacey is currently in her final year of study at KU for her Bachelors of Social Work and English, as well as a minor in Communications. She is very active on the KU campus, participating in Student Senate, Multicultural Scholars Program, She's the First, and KU Student Ambassadors. You can contact Jacey at jaceybishop@hercampus.com.