photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

There are things that go on in a woman’s life that can only be understood by other women. It is for this reason that women seek advice from a support system of strangers on the back of a bathroom door.

I was in the bathroom of Murphy Hall earlier this week and when I looked around, I saw pages of secrets surrounding me. Written in everything from black sharpie to sparkly pink pen were messages of pain, hope, confusion, support, and power. Now I know some people would be completely disgusted thinking of all these women using the restroom before them, but I was amazed. Silhouettes of women wrote about rape, body image, boyfriends, school, outfit choices, and every message had a response. 

One message in particular read “I am a victim of rape. Love and protect your fellow women. It’s going to be okay, I promise.” It was short but heartfelt. Things like this are important for everyone to see. This was one girl’s story that she wanted to share in hopes to save someone else. Horrible things happen to women everyday and sharing those messages in whatever medium is the best way to help others. 

Why is it so easy to support other women behind closed doors but so difficult to do it in person? Throw that girl that sits behind you in class a compliment one day or tell a stranger on the bus how much you love her shoes. Even a small comment goes a long way and you shouldn’t have to go to the bathroom to tell someone how amazing she is.

I think that there is something truly significant in a strong group of women, and I think that was shown in these messages. Questions were asked and answered. Hopelessness was countered with love by women that were complete strangers. If women don’t help women, who will?

The next time you’re “doing your business”, look up from your phone and read what other women have to say. Also, test yourself. When you see a woman rocking it, let her know. One kind word can change everything.

Native Wisconsinite studying journalism at the University of Kansas.